• The YKK Group is a Japanese group of manufacturing
companies. world's largest zipper manufacturer.
• most famous for making zippers; also manufactures
other fastening products, architectural products and
• The initials YKK stand for Yoshida Kōgyō Kabushiki
Gaisha , meaning "Yoshida Manufacturing
• YKK produces fasteners and architectural products at
109 YKK companies in 71 countries around the world.
• Pre World War II: initially known as San-es
• founded by Tadao Yoshida in Higashi
Nihonbashi, Tokyo in January 1934.
• specializes in production and marketing of
• After World War II: In January 1946 the company
registered the YKK trademark.
• purchased a chain machine from the U.S. that
allowed the automation of the zipper making
• In November 1961, diversified to include
aluminum products for buildings.
• In 1966, a new product YZip was introduced, an
extra strong and durable zipper for jeans.
• real estate business in Singapore in December
• Into agricultural business in Brazil in January
• The company was finally renamed YKK in August
– Standard Metal
– YZiP®: Metal zipper, extra durable for jeans
– EverBright®: Metal zipper, polished for visual appeal and corrosion
– Excella®: Metal zipper, polished and plated for visual appeal, also in
different colors. [Available in silver, gold and antique finish.]
– Standard Coil
– Conceal®: Plastic coil zipper with concealed elements (no visible teeth)
– Vislon®: Standard - rugged plastic zipper
• Hook and loop products, more commonly known under
the Velcro brand name of a competitor.
• Plastic parts, including various types of clips and buckles.
• Snaps and buttons, including snap fasteners and jeans buttons.
Key Management Principle
YKK SEEKS CORPORATE VALUE OF HIGHER
• advocates the "Cycle of Goodness: conceived
by YKK's founder Tadao Yoshida who said, "No
one prospers unless he renders benefit to
• YKK “smelts its own brass, concocts its own
polyester, spins and twists its own thread, weaves and
color-dyes cloth for its zipper tapes, forges and molds
its scooped zipper teeth …” and on and on.
• YKK even makes the boxes it ships its zippers in. And of
course it still manufactures its own zipper.
• manufacturing machines—which it carefully hides from
the eyes of competitors.
• With every tiny detail handled under YKK’s
roof, outside variables get eliminated and the company
can assure consistent quality and speed of production.
YKK Environmental Policies
'Earth Friendly Company'
• YKK group proclaims that it will address and
promote harmony with the environment as the
highest priority of their business activity.
• It is their policy to always improve on and exceed
the requirements of local environmental
• At their plants in India, we hold the Oeko-Tex
certificate which officially recognizes the
ecological harmlessness of textile products.
• On September 19, 2007 YKK was fined 150.3
million euros by the European Commission for
running worldwide price-fixing cartels and
sharing markets with zip-makers Prym and
• Coats of Britain and Prym of Germany were
fined 122.4 million and 40.5 million euros.
• YKK lost their appeal to the General Court on
June 27, 2012