An organism is any living things.
– This includes plants, animals, bacteria, and
– All organisms are also biotic.
Can you list some organisms that you
Many populations make up the living
parts of an ecosystem.
A population is a group of organisms of
one species that live in an area at the
A population may be all the pine trees or
all the squirrels in an area.
A community is made up of all the
populations in an area.
Members of a community depend on each
other to fill needs, such as food and
In other words, a community is all the
living things in an area and they all
depend on each other.
A biome is a large ecosystem with
generally the same climate and organisms.
All the biomes together create the
biosphere. (The part of Earth in which all
living things are located.)
There several types of biomes.
A habitat is the place in which an
– Made up of the soil, air, and water, as well as
the plants of the area.
– What is your habitat made up of?
A niche is the role or job of a specific
– Each organism has a specific niche.
– The niche of a spotted owl in his habitat is that
of a hunter.
– What is the niche of a mushroom?
A food chain is the transfer of
energy through a series of
organisms that use each other as
– Producers: organisms that make
their own food.
– Consumers: organisms that get their
food from eating other organisms.
Herbivores: eat only plants.
Omnivores: eat plants and animals.
Carnivores: eat only animals.
A food web is all the food chains in a
particular place tied together.
An energy pyramid is a diagram that shows
the amounts of energy that flows through each
level of a food chain.
– Plants get energy from the sunlight. They store some
– Hares (herbivores) get energy from the plants. Only a
small amount of this energy is stored.
– Owls get energy from eating animals. Only a small
fraction of this energy is stored.
A cycle is a repeating process or flow of
material through a system.
– Nitrogen Cycle
– Carbon/Carbon Dioxide Cycle