• In art, a figure drawing is a study of the human form in its various shapes and body postures - sitting, standing or even sleeping.
• It is a study or stylized depiction of the human form, with the line and form of the human figure as the primary objective, rather than the subject person.
• It is a composed image of the subject in a stationary position. A life drawing is a work that has been drawn from an observation of a live model.
• The term can also refer to the act of producing such a drawing. Figure drawing is arguably the most difficult subject an artist commonly encounters, and entire courses are dedicated to the subject.
• The human figure is one of the most enduring themes in the visual arts, and the human figure can be the basis of portraiture, cartooningand comic book illustration, sculpture, medical illustration, and other fields.
• Figure drawing can be done very simply, as in gesture drawing, or in greater detail, using charcoal, pencil or other drawing tools. If pigment is used, the process may be called figure painting.