• Treatment• •In Hollywood jargon, a “treatment” is a screenplay or teleplay story outline formatted as if it were a short story.• •Treatments can be as brief as one paragraph, or as long as two pages. It serves as the plot line of your animated series script.• •Use a three-act structure: beginning, middle, and end.
• Set and background design• •Set and background design of “Hold the Line”
• Storyboard• "A picture is worth a thousand words."• •Storyboard is an illustrated view, like a comic book, of how the producer or director envisions the final edited version of a production to look.
• Storyboard• •It entails telling a story with a number of sequential images with consideration for scene detail, character continuity, camera angles, special effects,etc.• http://hometown.aol.com/greghigh6/storybo ard_design.htmlhttp://www.adobe.com/educ ation/digkids/lessons/storyboards.html
• Animatics• •Animatics are pre-visualizationor video storyboardswith minimal moving visual, with or without audio and edited to look like the final product.• •They are a way to see the final project in motion before going through the expense of actual shooting or production.
• Production• •Modelling -• –Character• •Rigged and surfaced models and propswith test animationcomplete• –Set and background• –Props• •Textured and surfaced environments
• Production• •Lighting• –Lights and shadows• –Optical effects• •Texturing and mapping• –Texture collecting• –Map editing
• Lesson Summary• •The animation process is a tedious process• •Production planning and timeline is crucial to ensure smooth production output
• Further Reading• •http://www.producinganimation.com/• –Dowlatabadi, Zahra and Winder,Catherine. (2003) Producing Animation. Focal Press• –Laybourne, Kit and Canemaker, John (1998) The Animation Book: A Complete Guide to Animated Filmmaking--From Flip-Books to Sound Cartoons to 3-D Animation. Three Rivers Press; Rev Sub edition
• Further ReadingHow the experts did it!• •2D -www.justdisney.com/animation/animation.html• •3D -www.pixar.com/howwedoit/index.html• •http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/how-scooby-works3.htm• •Indie 3D -http://www.comet-cartoons.com/3ddocs/animprocess/• •Forensic 3D- http://www.expertlaw.com/library/animation/forensic_multimedia.html• •http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/stop-animation-process.htm• •Roto - http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/movies/20060707_SCANNER_A UDIOSS/blocker.html• •HK based CG -http://www.patlau.com/film.html• •Minotaur –Narnia http://movies.ign.com/articles/669/669397p1.html• •ArchViz rendering -http://3d-renderings.archiform3d.com/3d-rendering- process-scene.htm