* Good afternoon and thank you for coming. I’m Travis Millman, VP of Product at EnglishCentral. I’m going to be talking about the power of authentic media immersion and what we’re doing to help English language learners and their teachers take advantage of it. Before we get started, though, I’d like to get a sense of the audience so I can best tune my comments: - How many of you have heard of EnglishCentral? - How many have ever tried it for yourself? - How many have used it with Students? OK, great. Looks like a clean slate OR Super. I’ll focus on some of our newest elements and will be sure to leave time for questions and open discussion
Transcript of "Discuss it"
Read it or See it?
1. Do you prefer reading a book or
watching a movie? Why?
2. Can you think of a book which
was made into a movie? Was it
better as a movie?
3. Which do you usually like
more, the book or the movie
4. Are some books impossible to
make as a movie? Why?
5. Do you think one day people
will stop reading books and just
co-write mediocre ambition masterpiece fulfill genre
Do you have a dream?
1. What is your dream?
2. Do you think black people in
America are now equal?
3. What inequality do you see in
4. What can people do to correct
injustice in their country?
despair valley root creed hold wallow
Climbing Mt. Everest?
1. Have you ever climbed a
2. Have you ever wanted to explore?
What would you do?
3. Do you think anyone can climb
4. Many people die climbing Mt.
Everest. Do you think they should
stop people from climbing it? How
should it be controlled?
Heaven sink amaze boot top climb
Video Game Addicts?
1. Have you played this game? If so,
what do you think about it?
2. What is your favorite part of this
3. Do you think some people play
video games too much?
4. What happens when people are
addicted to video games?
offbeat debut bizarre spread addict
Ever been bullied?
1. Were you ever bullied? Were you
a bully? How do you feel about it?
2. Why do you think people bully
others? What are some ways?
3. Why do you think Lady Gaga felt
"awkward" when someone said
the "tables have turned"?
4. What can we do to help stop
bullying or cyberbullying? Suggest
some things to do?
Awkward honest request vengeful spirit apology
American or British English?
1. What other differences are there
between Br. and Am. English?
2. Do you have a preference? Which
one is correct?
3. Where in the world do they speak
Am. English? Br. English? Why is
4. Should we make laws so English
can be standardized and
simplified? Would it work?
trousers pavement lift chips pick up
What makes a crazy record?
1. If you could go for a world record,
which would you try to set
2. What kind of world record is
"crazy"? Name some.
3. Do you own a Guinness Book of
4. Why do people try to set a
Guinness World Record?
5. Name some records that you
think are in the book. Check your
unique bunch blow up bore beat discover
Are good grades important?
1. Are grades important? Why?
2. Do you think grades show how
smart you are?
3. In your opinion, what should be
changed about how we grade
4. What subjects did you get good
grades in? Why?
graduate purpose success grammar "good grief"
Is war necessary?
1. Have you ever had a bad dream or
nightmare? What was it about?
2. Why does this man have sleepless
nights and bad dreams?
3. Was the man right to kill the other
man? What would you have done?
4. Does war make good people into
bad people? How can we stop
surrender crawl gun field knock down
What are you thankful for?
1. Why is life difficult for disabled
2. What message did you take from
3. List things you can do. List things
you can't. What things on the
second list can you change?
4. How can we help disabled people
in our society and make them
5. What would you say to this man if
you met him?
freak out bottom obvious concentrating sum up
Are families changing?
1. What is your favorite childhood
2. Do you think family life has
changed since Gates was young?
3. What are you going to do with
family this summer? Do you have
4. Should work or time come first
with family? Which is your
priority? Key Words:
comfort tradition memory predict significant
Are online friends “friends”?
1. How many online friends do you
have? How many in real life?
2. Can a person have too many
friends? What's the right number
of friends to have?
3. What information would you share
with a friend but not others?
4. What makes an online friend
different than one in real life?
relate poke status dude comment
Do you have too much stuff?
1. Do you have a lot of stuff that you
never use? What?
2. Do you know where your _______
3. Why do people buy so much
4. How can we get more people
practicing the 3 Rs? (reduce,
5. How many more years can we
continue to make so much stuff?
definite govern consumption corporate
Ever bought a fake?
1. Have you ever been to a "fake"
2. Do you think this is a problem and
the police should close the store?
3. Have you ever bought something
counterfeit? How do you feel
4. In what cases is it okay to
copy/remix/share and in what
fake gadget manicure property deceive employee