Presentation Report Titled
Multimedia & Animation
Of 2nd Sem. 2007-08
RAM DUTT SHUKLA
Under the guidance of Proctor Mr. Amit Sharma
It’s our pleasure to acknowledge assistance of a number of
people without whom this seminar would not have been possible. We
would like to express our gratitude to Mr. Amit Sharma, Procter and
Sr.Lecturer MCA department, who guided for providing us invaluable
encouragement, guidance and support.
It is always very difficult to express one’s gratitude towards the
people from whom one gets the invaluable gift of knowledge.
However, we are very thankful to those, because of whom the hard
work done on this seminar become a pleasure.
We pay our humble regard and gratitude to Ms. Shikha, faculty
of MCA for extending to us her helping hand throughout the seminar.
After delivering this seminar we confidently say that, this experience
not only enriched us with the knowledge but also has unparsed the
maturity of thought and vision.
04/04/2008 RAM DUTT SHUKLA
RAM DUTT SHUKLA
What is MULTIMEDIA?
Multimedia is combination of more than one media
into an information source or presentation
Multimedia Computer System
• It is the capability to integrate two or more types of media (text, graphics,
images, audio and video) for the purpose of generation, storage,
representation and access of multimedia information.
Elements of Multimedia are documented through
• Macromedia flash
• Adobe live motion
• Quick time player
Requirements of Multimedia Computer System
• Faster Central Processing Unit (CPU)
• Large Storage Devices.
• Larger Main Memory.
• Good Graphics Terminals.
• Input/Output Devices.
Alphanumeric characters are used to present information in text form.
The native language of web is HTML (Hyper Text Markup Protocol), which is
designed to display simple text documents on computer screen.
Hardware and Software requirements for text
• Optical Character Recognizers (OCR).
• Text Editors.
• Text Style.
• Text Searching.
• Text Importing and Exporting.
Computer graphics deals with the generation, representation, manipulation and
display of pictures with the aid of a computer. Graphics is a more powerful way to
illustrate the information.
The pictures used in computer graphics can be generally classified into two types:
1. Generative Graphics
The area of computer graphics, which deals with this type of pictures, is known as
The Generative graphics is extensively used in drawings and Illustrations in the form
of 2- Dimensional and 3-Dimensional pictures
Created for mathematical representation of
– Illustrative Diagrams
The two very important applications of generative graphics are:
1. Computer Aided Design (CAD).
2. Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM).
Using CAD and CAM the design ideas can be quickly checked and graphically
• These are pictures and photographs
Composed of a collection of pixels
A Bit About Graphics
Vector Graphics - .eps, .png, drawing programs, CAD, some clipart
Bitmapped Graphics - .gif, .jpg, .bmp, .ticc, .pcx, scanned graphics, photos
Hardware and Software requirements
Painting or Drawing Software.
Screen Capture Software.
Computer audio deals with synthesizing, recording and playback of audio or
sound with the aid of computer. Audio is another very important component of
In Learning audio can be added to the animation clip.
ANALOG AND DIGITAL AUDIO
• Audio information travels in natural medium in the form of sound waves
which are analog in nature.
• Analog is converted in digital form by Transducer for the computer.
Hardware and Software requirements
• Sound Card.
• Output Device.
• Audio File Importing.
• Recording and playback capability.
• Voice Recognition software
• Like animation, computer video deals with the recording and display of a
sequence of images at a reasonable speed to create impression of movement.
• Each individual image of a sequence of images is called a Frame.
• For jerk-free full motion video 25-30 frames have to be displayed per
Like animation video is also very important component of multimedia because it is
very useful for illustrating concepts that involves movement.
Hardware and Software requirements
• Video Editors.
• Video Monitor.
• Video Board.
• Input Device like video camera
• Recording and Playback Capability.
With the advent of multimedia, there is a boom in the different type of video games
available on computer systems. Sound and animation have been particularly important
in these applications to make the games thrilling and exciting for the user. Because the
sequence of events in such games depends on the actions of the player, these programs
are very interactive in nature.
For sales promotion, companies often advertise there products and services on
television. Most of the TV programmers are sponsored by one or more companies, and
in turn, they get time slots for advertising there products during the programme.
Several of these used computer animation for advertising .
3. MULTIMEDIA PRESENTATION
We saw that multimedia applications can present information in a variety of forms
(text, graphics, animation, audio, video) involving the use of more of our senses.
Moreover, it helps in making a presentation more interesting, and has the inevitable
effect of grabbing and holding a person’s attention.
5.SPECIAL EFFECTS IN MOVIES
Several movies now contain many visual effects, which could never be accomplished
without the aid of the computers. The most common example is in the English movie,
‘JURASSIC PARK’ the dinosaurs were shown as a living creatures by use of
multimedia technology only.
• Multimedia kiosk has a touch-screen monitor with user friendly graphical user
interface for ease of operation by general public.
• Multimedia kiosks are often used in public places as information providers.
• At Airport
• At museum
Multimedia conferencing is also known as Video conferencing, refers to a system that
simulates face-to-face interactions among participating users located far from each
• Animation deals with the generation, sequencing and display of a set of images
to create an effect of visual motion.
• Visual effects such as wipes, fades, zooms and dissolves, available in most
authoring packages, are a simple form of animation.
• Television video build 30 entire frames every second. Movies are typically shot
at a shutter rate of 24 frames per second.
Why use Animation?
• Animation is useful for illustrating concepts which involve
• Animation can help organize thoughts and illustrate processes.
• Teaching swimming –the proper way to swing hands for
swimming can be more effectively illustrated with an animation.
• Flow of blood in arteries and veins can be illustrated with the help
TYPES OF ANIMATION
• 2-Dimensional animation
• 2-1/2 Dimensional animation
• 3-Dimensional animation
• The visual changes that bring an image alive occur on the flat Cartesian x and y
axes on the screen.
• These are simple and static, not changing their position on the screen.
• Authoring and presentation software such as Flash or Power-point provide user
friendly tools to compute positional changes.
• An illusion of depth is added to an image through shadowing and highlighting,
but image still rests on flat x and y axes.
• Embossing, shadowing, beveling and highlighting provide a sense of depth by
raising an image.
• Examples are Adobe illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks, and after effects.
• Software creates a virtual realm in three dimensions, and changes are calculated
along all three axes.
• It allows the viewer to wander around and get a look at all the object’s parts
from all angles.
PRINCIPLES OF ANIMATION
• Animation is possible because of a biological phenomenon known as
persistence of vision and a psychological phenomenon called phi.
• With the simplest tools you can make a bouncing ball to animate your web-site
• Making animations appear natural requires a basic understanding of the
principles of physics.
Difference between animation and video
• Animation is commonly used in those instances where video graphy is not
• Animation can better illustrate the concept than video.
• Example- Earth is revolving around its axis can not be video graphed but can
show through animation.
Morphing is a special technique that creates a smooth, controlled transformation of one
image into another. The morphing effect is widely used for various tasks ranging from
generation of fancy special effects, smoothing transitions between video frames to
funny warping of faces and mixing parent's photos for prediction of how their child
will look like (or recreation of past hero image from the photos of his
descendants). A classic example of this sort of transformation is shown in the well-
known Black Or White video clip by Michael Jackson, where the faces of different
people change one into another..
As technology progresses, so will multimedia. Today, there are plenty of new media
technologies being used to create the complete multimedia experience. For instance,
virtual reality integrates the sense of touch with video and audio media to immerse an
individual into a virtual world. Other media technologies being developed include the
sense of smell that can be transmitted via the Internet from one individual to another.
Today's video games include bio feedback. In this instance, a shock or vibration is
given to the game player when he or she crashes or gets killed in the game. In addition
as computers increase their power new ways of integrating media will make the
multimedia experience extremely intricate and exciting.
Multimedia serves us an opportunity to create animated objects.
Multimedia is used in every field
In schools, colleges.
In day to day life.
Multimedia will provoke radical changes in the teaching process during coming
decades; students can discover they can go beyond the limits of traditional teaching.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
QUESTION: 1 What is the difference between .jpg and .jpeg?
ANSWER: - There is none in terms of file format. It's like the difference between .jpg
and .jpeg or .htm and .html - the file type is exaclty the same, but some computers can
only support file extensions of three characters or less. Those computers aren't
QUESTION: 2 What is the difference between .mpg and .jpeg?
ANSWER:- The only main difference between these two file extensions is .jpeg file
compress the size of the file without affecting the quality of picture .If we save same
file in .mpg extension its size will be 15 times more than former one.
QUESTION: 3 What is the difference between Vector and Bitmap graphics?
ANSWER:- In functionality, the difference is that vector based images are scaleable.
One can blow up a vector image to any size, and the lines remain smooth. A bitmapped
image is made up of a fixed number of pixels. Increasing the size of the image does not
increase the number of pixels; it only makes each pixel bigger. That is why you see
jagged lines and a loss of detail when you magnify a bitmapped image.
QUESTION: 4 What is the difference between dhtml and html?
ANSWER:- DHTML or dynamic HTML webpage is any webpage in which client-
side scripting changes variables of the presentation definition language, which in turn
affects the look and function of otherwise "static" HTML page content, after the page
has been fully loaded and during the viewing process. Thus the dynamic characteristic
of DHTML is the way it functions while a page is viewed, not in its ability to generate
a unique page with each page load.
QUESTION: 5 Difference between analog and digital music?
ANSWER:- The key difference between analog and digital technologies is that analog
technologies record waveforms as they are, while digital technologies convert analog
waveforms into sets of numbers, recording the numbers instead. When played back,
the numbers are converted into a voltage stream that approximates the original analog
best thing about digital music is that it doesn’t matter how many times you copy it, it
is always the same.
when copying analogue music the quality diminishes every time you copy it as it pics
up more static or noise.