Should Companies that Fire ShootFirst?Case IncidentOrganizational Behavior Ahmed Zein E-Business MBA Eng_ahmedzein@yahoo.com
• “Today, whatever you say inside a company will end up in a blog,” says Rusy Rueff, a former executive at Pepsico. “So, you have a choice as a company—you can either be proactive and say, „Here‟s what‟s going on,‟ or you can allow someone else to write the story for you.”Key word
• Informal comments or other gossip spread by employees usually has a demoralizing effect on company employees. Demoralized employees may develop a fear regarding their job security.• Rumors emerge as a response to situations that are important to us .• Rumors start because it make good gossip .• Rumors will persist until the uncertainty is revealed .Gossip & Roamers
• Managers must explain the reason why a decision is made.• One study found that employees were twice as likely to be committed to changes with the reasons behind them were fully explained .Transparency is a must
• Many blog posts by people outside these companies are not completely accurate and accuse companies of poor management. This in turn is creating a negative image for these companies who are clearly already struggling.Confidentiality andintegrity
• Do you think employees who blog about their companies have an ethical responsibility to disclose their identities? It’s a double edged weapon ,, How ??My opinion :• Yes they have too , because mentioning their names will add more reality to what they blog .• And they can be a reference in farther investigationEthical dilemma
• fostering an open environment for employee questions and concerns.• Releasing a company newsletter or holding friendly management-employee meetings .• Stopping employee gossip from starting is usually the best policy for avoiding losses on the companys bottom line.• Employee must sign a code of conduct which states that he must not speak about internal company issues out side the company .Counter measures
• Companies that have blogged about their layoffs have found a sympathetic audience.• it makes private companies much more accountable to the people they retain and who leave, and that‟s probably a good thing .The win win !!!