I conducted extra research into my target audience by interviewing 5 people between the ages of 17-23, by asking them the following questions:
What are the reasons you buy a music magazine?
1. I’m attracted to the artist and design on the front cover.
2. I read it weekly
3. I like the freebies e.g. posters, free downloads
4. I enjoy the interviews
5. I very occasionally buy them but when I do its down to the artist on the cover.
How do you get your music?
1. Buy from HMV
2. ITunes store
3. Off illegal software
4. buy cd’s
5. illegal software
Do you watch TV music channels?
4. Classical channel
What attracts you most in a music magazine?
1. interesting articles about new bands, things I didn’t already know
2. news about my favourite artist
4. interesting articles
5. my favourite artist and bands are featured
How do you find new music?
1. from my friends and live gigs
2. TV and internet
4. existing bands new albums
5. YouTube and friends
What would allow you to feel closer to a magazine?
1. social networks such as Facebook, twitter, blogs.
2. over the internet
3. over TV and the internet
4. being able to subscribe
5. Facebook and internet site.
From this research I have concluded that to firstly attract the reader, my magazine must have catchy designs and freebies featured on the cover. It must have interesting content with in depth interviews with popular artists. The magazine should have a section dedicated to its involvement with social networking sites, allowing readers to be involved more with the magazine.