PUYALLUP SCHOOL DISTRICT
WHAT it is and WHY we have one
Revised from https://blogs.puyallup.k12.wa.us . . . Framework-and-TPEP-talking-points
What is an Instructional Framework?
• An instructional or leadership
framework provides a common
language that is shared by everyone in
the district and is aligned to the
teacher or principal criteria as outlined
in RCW 28A.405.100
Why have an Instructional Framework?
• Districts use the common language of
instruction/leadership to converse
about effective teaching and leading,
give and receive feedback, and
collect and act upon data to improve
How does this align with our strategic
• The improvement of instruction and student
achievement is our primary goal.
What is TPEP?
• TPEP stands for the Teacher and Principal
• New Washington state legislation required the
creation of new teacher and principal evaluation
• The new evaluation system needed to be aligned
with a research-based instructional framework.
• An instructional framework was identified first, then
implementation of TPEP began.
How did we identify an instructional
framework for our district?
• A 28 member committee was commissioned by
the superintendent for the purpose of analyzing
the Danielson, Seven Dimensions, and Marzano
instructional frameworks and developing a
recommendation of which model the district
• Collaboration among members included
o Teachers appointed by PEA
o Building and Student Learning Dept
Rational in Adopting Danielson’s Model
• Uses teacher voice.
• Clear, concise, understandable
• Provides opportunities for growth.
• Training can be leveraged with other
So what ?
What does this
evaluation process look
Taken from: http://tpep-wa.org/wp-content/uploads/TPEP_Infographic.pdf