1. Gender Male FemaleThe majority of the people we interviewed are male. We did not find any connection to other answers provided in the questionnaire, but we will however take into account that many music videos attract a male audience by including attractive women.
2. Age 0-15 16-30 31-50 50+ We found that the majority of the people who responded to the questionnaire were 50+,suggesting that they have grown up with soul music, however we also found that a younger audience do listen to soul music.
3. Hobbies The hobbies are varied, but there are two findings which are of particular importance; the first was amajority of the people who said one of their hobbies is listening to music were mostly the younger audience, suggesting they listen to the radio more and therefore are exposed to different varieties of music. The second was that the people who saidthat their hobbies included reading were mostly theolder audience. Both of these findings will be taken into account when we will be producing the pitch for our digipack and advert.
4. Expectations of a soul video The responses to this question varied. Many of the women who responded to this questionnaire said that they expect a narrative storyline with the main artist asthe focus throughout most of the music video, connoting a gender stereotype of women having a more fairytale story view on life. The answers, however, for men were different in which they expected a soul music video tofeature attractive women. The only expectation that menand women both had is the main artist being the focus of the music video.
5. Time spent listening to soul Once a week Once a month Once a yearThere was a correlation within the results from thisquestion and the second. We discovered that those who are 50+ are the ones who listen to soul music once a week, suggesting that they still enjoy olderartists but possibly newer more modern soul music.
6. Attractions to a band/artistFrom the questionnaire, we found that the majority were attracted to a band/artist through what they look like, suggesting that the older and youngeraudience both have similar views of the stereotypes of different genres of music.
7. Hearing about new music Magazine Adverts Friends/Fam ily Radio Other The majority answered ‘other’ in this question and stated that they hear about new music through posters, this connotes a more traditional way of finding out about newmusic, also correlating with the age of the audience. We willtake this into consideration when again producing the pitch for our digipack and advert.
8. Favourite bands/artists The younger audience who answered the questionnaire listed their favouriteartists/bands, which we found to be part of the R&B genre of music, a well known more modern variation of soul music suggesting they still enjoy soul but also vary in their music tastes. We found that the older audience preferred bands who wereof an older era, suggesting that they still enjoy music that they listened to in their younger years.
9. Supporting/ subverting stereotypes Support SubvertThe findings above show that more people wanted a soul video to support the stereotypes, indicating that the views of soul music take a more traditional approach, which we will not be avoiding in the production of our music video.
10. Expectations of an album The expectations of an album varied in particular between different age groups. The youngeraudience wanted to see lots of bright colours on thealbum cover which contrasted with the expectations of the older audience who would prefer a more simple and understated album cover.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.