Lead User Training Rochester SC Monday 13th August
Time Agenda9:00 – 11:00 Web 2.0 – hands on This will be a full on session! We will go through a long list of the latest of Web 2.0 tools available to teachers and you will get the opportunity to explore some of these along the way. Things we will cover in this session - Suggested ways to manage registering for and implementing web 2.0 tools into your classroom. - Ideas on how to use these tools in the classroom. - Links to resources to support implementation. It will help if you have an active gmail account set up. If you don’t, click here to create one. You will use your gmail to sign in to many of the web 2.0 tools. 11:00 – Morning Tea (tea, coffee and biscuits provided) 11:3011:30-12:30 ICT Scope and Sequence Discuss. Look at examples. Share ideas on how to develop an ICT Scope & Sequence for your school. Digital Learning Conference Update Update on Ultranet Student Report Card Trial Latest news from Ultranet Central Ultranet Release 3.2 – latest enhancements update Ultranet Release 3.3 – enhancements to come Principal and Teacher Utility Reports what are these and how to use them12:30-1:30 Lunch (BYO)1:30-3:30 Ultranet Learning Tasks Part 1. Refresher course on creating, assigning and assessing Learning Tasks Part 2. How to enter students VELS confirmations and write Observations.
• Web 2.0 is a term used to describe advanced internet technology and applications that allow users to communicate, share information, design and collaborate and construct on the World Wide Web• In the past, we could only use the WWW to gather source and gather information.• The most significant difference between the web 2.0 and the traditional World Wide Web is greater collaboration among internet users, content providers and enterprises.
Things to consider• Knowing what’s out there• Registrations / sign up and hidden costs – read carefully• Password management appendix• Become familiar before using it with your class• Do some research about best practise – google it! or look on YouTube
• Back channel chat room• Free to use• No registration required• http://todaysmeet.com/rochester
• Collaborate online using a word processor, slide shows, spread sheets and create electronic forms for data collection.• Free• https://drive.google.com/start#home
• Free• Network with other educators• Follow innovators• Get links to resources• Share ideas and thoughtshttp://www.slideshare.net/hopkinsdavid/twitter-in-education
Twitter Hashtags to follow #• #vicpln – resources shared by Vic educators• #edtech – technology for educational purposes• #ultranet - Ultranet• #edchat – global education discussions• #BYOD – discussions around Bring Your Own Device• #engchat – for English teachers• #mathchat – for Maths teachers• #musedchat – for music teachers
• Collaborative web-based word processor• Free access to web-based word processor• http://beta.primarypad.com/p/5cMKUADm7E
• Online visualising tool for brainstorming and recording ideas• Free for basic plan• Offer school packages• iPad app• http://popplet.com/
• Make short videos to share or embed online.• Sign in using Facebook or create an Animoto account• Free plan allows you to make 30 sec videos• http://animoto.com
• Create fakebook pages for historical characters• Free (with ads)• No sign up• http://www.classtools.net/fb/home/page/
• Artful story telling• Choose some images from their collection and then write your story and create a book• Free• Create class logins from your account• http://storybird.com
• Largest and most popular flashcard creator website• Targeted at Secondary and University students• Free• Sign in with Facebook• http://quizlet.com
• With over 3,300 videos and revision exercises for mathematics, history and science• Targeted at secondary students• Free• Sign up for tracking tools• http://www.khanacademy.org
• Minimalistic feedback tool• Free• No sign up required• Targeted at teachers• http://answergarden.ch/view/34390
• One of the most popular ways to upload and share slide show presentations• Get embed codes for Ultranet use• Free• Sign up with your Facebook account• Create a class account for your students• http://www.slideshare.net
Make Beliefs Comix• Create comic strips• Free• No sign up• Print or email them to yourself• www.makebeliefscomix.com
• Online message board• Free• Sign up with Google account• Great for brainstorming and sharing ideas• http://wallwisher.com/wall/grade234
• Create and publish your own online surveys or quizzes in minutes• Sign in using Google or Facebook account• or create a Survey Monkey Account• Free plan allows you to create 10 question quizzes/surveys• Share link to survey with students• http://www.surveymonkey.com
• Create online polls, surveys and quizzes• Create a Poll Daddy account• Free plan includes 200 surveys a month• 10 questions per survey• Basic reports from surveys• Share link to survey with students• http://polldaddy.com
Online Stopwatch• Free• No sign up required• Count up or count down• Display on IWB• http://www.online-stopwatch.com
• Shorten and share URLs• Free• No sign in required• Or sign in with Facebook or Twitter account to keep a record or your bitly’s• https://bitly.com
Google Art Project• Explore art works and art collections• Take a virtual tour of an art gallery• Free• No sign up• http://www.googleartproject.com
Wordle• Create beautiful word clouds or word posters• Free• No sign in required• http://www.wordle.net
• Digital canvas that allows students to create basic images• Free• No sign up• Use screen capture tool to save images• http://artpad.art.com/artpad/painter
• Digital Posters• Free for basic plan• Create a Glogster account for your class
• Website that will allow you to download You Tube clips and save to your computer for later viewing• Free• No sign in required
Sandpit Time• Have a play around with some of the tools we’ve visited this morning• Add your own finds to the google doc: http://bit.ly/PaR0RL
ICT Scope and Sequence• A whole school plan for the delivery of ICT core skills• Echuca PS sharing• Examples in Dropbox
Release 3.2• Not a substantial release• Fixes to a small number of defects• Search functionality working better in design and collaborative. Tagging is a crucial part of creating your space• Parents can now leave spaces as they could not before.
Release 3.3 coming soon (Term 4)• New landing/home page
Other news….• Continued Funding• CSG no longer. NEC Technologies now has Ultranet contract• Secondary Timetabling – short term fix, going to remove time and place from timetable in Ultranet which means no timetable widget. Will be effective from beginning of next year. Long term, look into a timetabling software that will integrate straight into Ultranet rather than go through CASES21
Reporting Trial• Trials completed in 5 primary schools in semester 1• Teachers and parents have given lots of feedback and information around functionality, change aspects about the rich ongoing feedback and the one page student report card.• Trial is continuing and more Primary Schools are participating in the trial and a selected number of Secondary Colleges have been introduced to the trial also.• Statewide rollout – unknown
Some findings from trial• School staff find functionality easy to use, considerable time saving and better quality information provided to parents• Parents who were not walked through said they preferred the old style of report card.• Parents who found their way around loved the access, interactions and dialogue.• Looking at way to include a summative comment at the bottom of the one-page report card.
Utility reportsLearning and Teaching• Learning Item Summary• Learning Item Detail• Student Progress Detail• Observation Summary• Observation Detail• Historical (Only available to School Leaders)
Learning Item SummaryPurpose• The Learning Item Summary Report displays the number and type of Learning Items published by a teacher for each class.
Learning Item Detail• Purpose• The Student Progress Detail report displays the details of the Learning Items published by a Teacher for all of their classes.• Potential Scenarios• By filtering on the Learning Item type you can view the details of all Submissions. These Submissions can then be sorted on the End Date to get a clearer indication of the student workloads.
Student Progress DetailPurpose• The Student Progress Detail report displays the Learning Items assigned to students within a defined period. For each individual Learning Item you will be able to view the details of all of the students assigned, including their progress in relation to completing the Learning Item.Potential Scenarios• By filtering for a specific Learning Item you can view the progress of all of the students assigned to that Learning Item.• By filtering on the Progress you will be able to view a list of all assigned students yet to complete a particular Learning Item.
Observation SummaryPurpose• The Observation Summary report displays, for each of the Teachers classes, the number of Observations recorded against each student. These Observations are recorded against 5 key categories and include Observations recorded by Teachers, Parents and the Student.Potential Scenarios• By clicking on any of the hyperlinked numbers the Observation Detail report will be displayed with an itemised view of that Observation Category for that particular student.
Observation DetailPurpose• The Observation Detail report displays, for each of the Teachers classes, the details of each Observation recorded against the student.Tips• In order to view the full details of any Observation you will need to locate that Observation within the Learning Tasks area of Ultranet.