1. Prime minister Indira Gandhi (1914-1984) Emir Veledar Jonathan Calliste November 15, 2011
2. Jawaharlal Nehru (1889-1964) Indira Gandhi was the daughter of Indian politician Jawaharlal Nehru.Nehru was India’s first Prime Minister.He was a key figure in the events that led to India gaining independence.Indira Gandhi worked closely with her father during his tenure as prime minister. When he passed away in 1964, there was confusion as to who would take his spot.
3. Indira Gandhi became prime minister in 1966. She excelled in officebecause she was a powerful speaker. She did a great deal of travelling andgained support by instituting new left-wing policies. One of the staples ofher campaign was to fight hunger and poverty.
4. War of 1971 The Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 was a military conflict between India and Pakistan. The conflict only lasted 13 days. Prime minister Indira Gandhi was boosted her popularity by defeating Pakistan in this war. As a result, East Pakistan seceded as the independent state of Bangladesh.
5. Did she help Indian democracy?
6. Golden TempleGolden Temple, the holiest shrine of the Sikhs in Amristar.
7. SikhsThe Sikh separatists, lead by a man named Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, occupied the Golden Temple, the holiest shrine of the Sikhs in Amristar. The Sikh separatists used the Golden Temple as a haven and arsenal stronghold.
8. 1984: Indira Gandhi is assassinated.Indira Gandhi was assassinated onOctober 31, 1984. While she was inher garden, two of her bodyguardsunleashed a barrage of gunfire that struck the prime minister.
9. Police Report of the Assassination Extract from the original F.I.R. written in Hindi / English (Courtesy Police Station Tughlak Road)
10. Assassination of Indira GandhiIndira Gandhi was rushed tothe hospital after thebarrage of bullets. Surgerywas attempted to removethe bullets, but Gandhi didnot survive the procedure.
11. Anti-Sikh RiotsThe population which had a Hindu majority were infuriated that the Sikhs killed theirprime minister. Anti-Sikh riots erupted all over New Delhi where Sikhs were targeted and slaughtered.
12. Anti-Sikh RiotsThese riot mobs were led by congressmen and a passive government watched,looking helpless even unwilling to help the Sikhs and stop the violence. Some ofthe government officials even were involved in the attacks.
13. 1984 Assassination Aftermath In just three days, over three thousand Sikhs were killed.
14. Indira GandhiFrom 1967 to 1974, she was viewed as a strong Indian patriot who took critical actionsto strengthen her newly independent nation. Indira Gandhi was a strong patriot but also a deeply flawed democrat who chose the wrong ways to show herpatriotism. There are many mixed feelings and about Indira Gandhi; some view her as an Indian hero while others view her as a ruthless power hungry dictator; regardless she was a huge influence in the history of India.
15. News Clips• CNN News http://youtu.be/gekp9-GFWfM• IBN CNN News http://youtu.be/T2NM2PK8QTM