Creating a Great Collage
10 tips to make your sketchbook cover
1. Start with your largest pieces first!
● Glue large shapes down to create a background, then
layer medium shapes, and finally your smallest shapes.
● Overlap shapes to create UNITY.
2. Cut carefully!
● Neat cutting skills will allow your images to blend
3. Glue completely!
● Make sure all edges are firmly glued down so they lay
flat and have no pieces flipping up.
● If using mod-podge, paint a layer under and over each
4. Add text!
● Use old book pages, or photocopies of pages, for
backgrounds, or use text to spell concepts and ideas that
capture your message.
● Find interesting looking letters, mix up fonts and sizes.
5. Textures and patterns
● Make sure to include a variety of each to add depth and
interest to your collage.
● Cut shapes from interesting textures to create objects
like leaves, feathers, etc.
● Use a variety of large, medium, and small shapes.
7. Play with assemblage
● Take elements from one object and combine them with
another to make interesting remixed creatures!
● When the glue dries, use crayons, colored pencils,
sharpies and paint to add drawn elements to your
9. Make it personal!
● Bring in images, wrappers, receipts, maps, handwritten
notes, photocopies of family photos, and sketches to add
personal touches to your collage.
10. Use color for emphasis.
● Warm colors like red, orange, and yellow attract
● Create a triangle of warm toned collage pieces to create
a composition that moves your viewer’s eye in a path.