Step 1: Description-What kind of artwork is this-Who created it, and what is the title?-When was this artwork created? What major events inhistory occurred around this time?-List the objects you see (trees, people, shapes, etc).-Consider the signiﬁcant art elements that are present inthis artwork and describe them:LINE TEXTURESHAPE COLORFORM VALUESPACE PATTERN
1. What objects do yousee?2. Describe the textureof the brushstrokes.3. Are the colors neutralor saturated?4. How are dark andlight values used in thispainting?5. What path do youreyes take in thispainting? Umberto Boccioni Still Life with Glass and Siphon 1914
Step 2: AnalysisIn this step, consider the most signiﬁcant artprinciples that were used in the artwork. Describehow the artist used them to organize the elements.BALANCE CONTRASTEMPHASIS VARIETYHARMONY MOVEMENTGRADATION UNITYRHYTHM DEPTHPROPORTION COMPOSITION
1. How is movementcreated in this print?2. Can you ﬁndrepeating shapes thatcreate rhythm?3. Does the size ofobjects describe depthin this image? How?4. Is this printbalanced? Why or whynot?5. Do the tones in thisprint create high or lowcontrast? Katsushita Hokusai The Waterfall where Yoshitsune Washed his Horse 1832
Step 3: InterpretationBased on what you have learned so far about theartwork, what do you think the artist was trying tosay?Why did this artist create this artwork?What do you think it means?What feelings do you have when looking at thisartwork?Do you think there are things in the artwork thatrepresent other things- symbols?
1. What do you think theartist is trying to say?2. What do you think itmeans?3. What feelings doesthis work give you?4. Do you see symbolsthat might representsomething important? Ida Applebroog Mother I am Ill 1993
Step 4: JudgmentDo you like this artwork?Do you think it is an important artwork?Would you display this artwork in your home?Does this belong in a museum?Explain why you feel the way you do about thisartwork based on what you have learned about it.
1. Do you like thisartwork?2. Do you think it is agood artwork?3. Would you displaythis in your home?4. Is this artwork goodenough to put in amuseum?5. Why do you feel thisway? Friedensreich Hundertwasser The 30 Day Fax Picture 1994
1. Describe2. Analyze3. Interpret4. Judge5. Additional Comments Ellen Gallagher Millie Christine from “Deluxe” 2004-2005
1. Describe2. Analyze3. Interpret4. Judge5. Additional Comments Gianlorenzo Bernini Apollo and Daphne 1622-25
1. Describe2. Analyze3. Interpret4. Judge5. Additional Comments Ingres Josephine-Eleonore-Marie-Pauline de Galard de Brassac de Bearn 1853
1. Describe2. Analyze3. Interpret4. Judge5. Additional Comments Fred Wilson Safe House II (Speak of Me as I Am) 2003
1. Describe2. Analyze3. Interpret4. Judge5. Additional Comments Frida Kahlo The Two Fridas 1939
1. Describe2. Analyze3. Interpret4. Judge5. Additional Comments Cai Guo-Qiang Inopportune:State Two 2004
1. Describe2. Analyze3. Interpret4. Judge5. Additional Comments Gustave Caillebotte The Garden at Petit Gennevilliers in Winter 1894