The world of the rich and famous is fascinating for many of us. They lead the life many
of us want and they do what we only dream of us. Being a food fanatic, this time we’ll
have a look at the most expensive foods in the world, most expensive drinks, deserts or
1. Saffron, a spice grown worldwide, is derived from the saffron crocus flower. A pound
of dry saffron (0.45 kg) requires 50,000–75,000 flowers to make, meaning an entire
football field of these flowers. Requiring so much resources and labor, prices for the
spice go around US$500/pound to US$5,000/pound (US$1100–US$11,000 per
2. The most expensive nut in the world is the Macadamia nut. The macadamia tree
produces nuts only after it’s 7-10 years old, requiring fertile soil and heavy rainfall.
These nuts have a very hard seed, but once it’s open it reveals a creamy white kernel
containing up to 80% oil and 4% sugar. The cost of a kilogram of these nuts exceeds
3. The most expensive caviar in the world is not the black one, but the almas caviar!
The word ‘almas’ is Iranian for diamond. Beluga caviar comes from a fish over 100
years old, that is virtually unchanged for 120 million years. The luxurious caviar comes
from the oldest survivor of the Dinosaur era. Beluga caviar ranges in price from more
than $5,000 per kilogram in the United States
4. The most expensive mushroom in the world is the white truffle. The mushroom has its
origins in the Langhe area of the Piedmont region in northern Italy, it can reach 12 cm
diameter and 500g. These truffles are sold at a amazing price of €2,000 and €4,000 per
kilogram ($1350 - $2700 per pound). The record price for this truffle was paid last year,
in December, when Stanley Ho, the owner of the Macau casino paid $330,000 for 1.5kg
5. The most expensive potato in the world is a French one, “La Bonnotte”. Annually, only
100 tons of this top quality potato are cultivated and collected only on the island
Noirmoutier. The potato fields require to be fertilized only with seaweed in a climate
shaped by the nearby sea. The cost of one single kilogram can reach €500 since this
type of potato is almost extinct.
6. The most expensive beef in the world is the type of beef coming from the Wagyu
cows. These Japanese cows are fed the best grass and provided the best treatment.
That is why the meat is especially tender and particularly expensive. 200 grams of a
fillet cost in Europe more than 100 dollars.
7. The most expensive sandwich in the world is the club sandwich from Essen aka von
Essen Platinum Club Sandwich. This triple-decker delicacy contains the finest chicken,
ham, hard-boiled quails’ eggs and white truffles and it’s currently sold at Cliveden,
Berkshire. The chicken (poulet de Bresse) is referred to as the ‘fourth gastronomic
wonder of the world served with a topping of white truffles, sold at over a thousands
ponds a month. At 1,182 calories, with 1.8oz of fat, it’s not the healthiest dish but
certainly one of the most expensive. Costing 100 pounds (almost 200 dollars), this is a
must-try for the food fanatics.
8.The most expensive pizza in the world, valued at 8300 Eur can be tasted in Italy. With
generous toppings of caviar and lobster, the pizza has a diameter of 20cm and Louis
XIII Remy Martin cognac poured all over it.
9. The most expensive omelet in the world can be tasted at the Le Parker Meridien
restaurant in New York. The $1,000 omelet consists of 10 ounces of sevruga caviar, a
whole lobster, and six eggs. To make it in the privacy of your own home, the cost will be
10. Off to something sweet now with one of the most expensive deserts in the world,
served at Serendipity 3, a popular restaurant in the Upper East Side of Manhattan. The
$1000 sundae was introduced in 2004 and was listed in the Guinness Book of World
Records as the most expensive dessert. It’s made up of 5 scoops of the richest Tahitian
vanilla bean ice cream, Madagascar vanilla, 23K edible gold leaf and one of the most
expensive chocolates in the world, Amedei Porceleana.
11. The tastiest and most expensive chocolate in the world is Chocopologie by
Knipschildt. At $2,600 per pound, this handmade chocolate truffle is available only if
ordered. t contains a black truffle and 70% Valrhona cacao.
12. The world’s finest and most expensive coffee is Kopi Luwak. The coffee comes from
the Indonesian island of Sumatra and the total annual production is only around 500
pounds of beans. That is why the price of a pound is outrages - $300 or more.
13. The current record for the most expensive tea is held by a rare Chinese green tea
called Tieguanyin, which costs 1,700 Yuan ($3,000) per kilo (per 2 lb 3 oz)
approximately 8.50 Yuan ($15) for a single cup.
14. The world’s most expensive tea bag for the PG company, to celebrate their 75th
anniversary. Manually decorated with 280 diamonds, the bag made to remind people
just how much they love the great British cup of tea is worth £7,500.
15. The most expensive champagne in the world is Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque Blanc de
Blanc, made of specially selected grapes, sold in manually painted bottles and with a
price tag of around $1,500.
16. The most expensive whisky in the world is considered to be the Macallan Fine Rare
Vintage. With only 85 bottles being released world-wide, tasting this 30 year old is a
rare treat. Price for a single bottle? $38,000!
17. Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum is merely the top-selling high strength rum in
the world, bottled in 1940. Only four bottles are left from this precious liquor, each being
estimated at $53,000.
18. The most expensive cocktail in the world, “Diamonds-Are-Forever”, has no special
ingredients like we had so far. The only excuse for wearing the €11,000 price tag is that
the olive is replaced by a 1.6 carat diamond. To be found in the hotel Ritz-Carlton in
19. The most expensive beer in the world costs around £500 (around $1,000) a bottle
and is called Vielle Bon Secours. It can only be found in a bar called the Bierdrome in
20. The most expensive drinks list will eventually come to dovka. Diva Vodka, produced
by the Blackwood Distillery in Scotland is the world’s most expensive vodka. Depending
on your choice of “crystal decoration” the price of a single varies from £35 to a
21. Kona Nigari water, takes the title for the world’s most expensive water. The
desalinated water high in minerals from the deep seas off Hawaii, costs $16.75 per