This book is all about reaching the public directly. In this new age of internet socializing pr professionals don’t have to solely rely on the media. Scott says “ Prior to the web, organizations had only two significant choices to attract attention: Buy expensive advertising or get third-party ink from the media. But the web has changed the rules. The web is not TV. Organizations that understand the New Rules…develop relationships directly with consumers like you and me.”
First job was a clerk at wall street bond trading desks, worked electronic information division at knight-ridder (newspaper and internet publishing) own business to refine my ideas, work with select clients, and teach others through writing, speaking at conferences, and conducting seminars for corporate groups. The subject of all this work: Reaching your buyers directly and driving more revenue.
Marketing and pr are interrelated On the web, the lines between marketing and pr have blurred.
The web is a city Craigslist is the bulletin board at the entrance of the corner store Ebay a garage store Amazon a book store Wrong side of the tracks- adult entertainment Three uses of BLOGS Monitor what millions of people are saying about your company Participate in those conversations To chape those conversations by creating and writing your own blog -Helps understand their corporate reputation -Analyze trends: greater and fewer blog mentions compared to competitors, last month, or after a major event News Releases Create online media room (list of news releases) New Rules Send them all the time not just when big news happens Appeal directly to buyers Put links in online releases to lead costumers to specific web pages Add tags -Use a distribution service RSS (Really Simple Syndication) -use words and phrases your buyers uses Podcasting Can reach niche audiences RSS Feeds iTunes and Ipods (listen while traveling) Politicians and churches How-to podcasts series Content-rich website Answer questions and solve problems before the costumer has to ask Write for your audience use examples and stories Tell your organizations story
International bloging- not just an American phenomenon 40 different countires Favorite international blog- taxi driver in Sydney Australia now a media personality
He goes into podcasting a little but I would like to know more about how organizations effectively use it What is search engine markteing?
Pros: Real world examples Very conversational Everything you ever want to know about social media How to create an action plan Great tips on how to start your own professional blog, and what to talk about Cons A lot about Marketing
1. THE NEW RULES OF MARKETING & PR By: David Meerman Scott Presentation By: Emily Byrne How to use News Releases, Blogs, podcasting, Viral Marketing, and Online Media to Reach Buyers Directly
2. Who is David Meerman Scott? <ul><li>Marketing Strategist </li></ul><ul><li>Keynote Speaker </li></ul><ul><li>Seminar Leader </li></ul><ul><li>Author </li></ul><ul><ul><li>World Wide Rave : Creating Triggers that get Millions of People to Spread your Ideas and Share your Stories (2009) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Tuned In : Uncover the Extraordinary Opportunities that Lead to Business Breakthroughs (2008 with Craig Stull and Phil Myers) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Cashing in with Content : How innovative marketers use digital information to turn browsers into buyers (2005) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Eyeball Wars : A novel of dot-com intrigue (2001) </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Social Media Enthusiast </li></ul>http://www.davidmeermanscott.com/bio.htm Info from http://www.davidmeermanscott.com/
3. The New Rules of Public Relations and Marketing <ul><li>Scott’s New Rules </li></ul><ul><ul><li>PR is for more than a mainstream media audience </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>You are what you publish </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>People want authenticity, not spin </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Offer your audience content the moment they need it </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>PR is not about your boss seeing your company on the TV. It’s about your buyers seeing your company on the web. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Use blogs, podcasts, online news releases, and other forms of online content to reach the audience directly. </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>http://www.coca-colaconversations.com/ </li></ul></ul>www.twitter.com www.wordpress.com/iconblog
4. Using Web-Based Communication <ul><li>Blogs </li></ul><ul><li>News Releases </li></ul><ul><li>Podcasting </li></ul><ul><li>Content-Rich Websites </li></ul>www.techsuave.com www. developmentinstitute.org / www.ithinked.com http://www.praxmatrix.com/i/website_design.jpg
5. Surprising <ul><li>International bloging: Helping connect the world. </li></ul>
6. Furthering my Knowledge <ul><li>Podcasting </li></ul><ul><li>Search engine marketing </li></ul>
8. References <ul><li>Scott, D. M., (2007). The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to use blogs, podcasting, viral marketing & online media to reach buyers directly: Hoboken, NJ, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. </li></ul><ul><li>www.twitter.com </li></ul><ul><li>www.coca-colaconversations.com </li></ul><ul><li>http://www.davidmeermanscott.com/ </li></ul>
9. The End http://www.operationweb.com/images/websites.jpg