1. A Plant to Cure, A Life to Gain:Empowering Agriculture, Economics and Society through Plant Pathology
2. LSPU-SPCCPHILIPPINES 01.18.2012
3. Provide adequate information about plant diseases and their general control measures Discuss to LSPU students the concept of Plant Pathology At the end of the seminar, the participants should be able to: Understand the different diseases that occur in plants Apply the general principles of control measures to treat plant diseases
4. Plant pathology (also known asphytopathology) is the scientific study ofplant diseases cause by pathogen andenvironmental conditions.
5. Miles Joseph Berkeley(1 April 1803 – 30 July 1889) was an English cryptogamist and clergyman, and one of the founders of the science of plant pathology.
6. For the past 50 years, the ability tocombat plant diseases through the useof modern farm management methods,fertilization of crops, and pest controlhave made it possible.
12. “SYMPTOMS CAUSATIVE ORGANISMS ANDCONTROL OF THE FOLLOWING DISEASES” Disease Symptoms Prevention and Name Treatment The disease is Destruction of Blast of first seen as diseased cropPaddy (Rice) elliptical gray- residue. Rice blast white lesions. First appears as Crop rotation. Red Rot of red bright Sugarcane lesions with ash grey.
13. -Other Names- Panicle blast, Rotten neck-Causative Agent/ Organism- Pyricularia grisea -Synonyms- Magnaporthe grisea -Crops Affected- Rice and some other grasses
14. -Crops Affected- Sugarcane -Description of the Agent- Red rot of sugarcane is caused bya fungus: Colletotrichum falcatum,has its perfect stage as Physalossora tucumanensis Speg.
15. Infected grain Use of Grain has greenish diseased-free Smut of smut balls with seeds.Sorghum a velvety appearance. The disease Early Citrus can appear spraying with Canker anywhere on copper the exposed compounds. surface of the plant.
16. Causative Agent/ Organism fungus Crops Affected Corn, rice, sorghum, wheat,sugarcane, and other grasses
17. Other NamesAsiatic citrus canker or cancrosis A, Causative Agent/ Organism Xanthomonas axonopodispv.citri Synonyms Bacillus campestris Crops Affected Citrus crops:grapefruit; lemon; lime; trifoliate orange.
18. Joemark SupanganJeanny Rose Matanguihan Agnes Hernandez Ma. Kristine De Mesa Odessa Morada References Encyclopedia of Knowledge Textbook: Plant Pathology www.google.com www.yahoo.com