1. Beyond Forest Cover:High-resolution Carbon Mapping for REDD+ JOE MASCARO, GREG ASNER, HELENE MULLER-LANDAU ET AL. DEPARTMENT OF GLOBAL ECOLOGY CARNEGIE INSTITUTION FOR SCIENCE SMITHSONIAN TROPICAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE
2. Panama is a Thriving Economy Panama had the highest 2008 GDP (both per- capita and absolute) among all Central American nations (FAO).
3. Deforestation in PanamaOver the period from 2000 to 2010, Panama experienced 0.4% forest loss per year(FAO), a lower relative rate than all but one Central American nation, and a declinefrom forest loss in the previous decade.Net changes in forest cover mask a higher loss of primary forest, however—much ofwhich is balanced by secondary re-growth and plantations.Understanding these relative changes, beyond simply forest cover, is essential tomonitoring the welfare of carbon stocks and emission in support of REDD.
4. Carnegie Airborne Observatory
5. Laser-guided Spectroscopy of Tropical Canopies
6. Light Detection and Ranging or “LiDAR”
7. Three-dimensional Canopy Structure
8. Carnegie’s REDDlite approachSatellite mapping of forest cover and changes in cover using CLASliteHabitat mapField calibration of LiDARLiDAR assessment of carbon storage across habitats
9. Average aboveground carbon density, IPCC 2006• Tropicallandscapesare treated asif there issome averagecarbon stock.• What are thelocal toregional scalecontrols overcarbonstocks?
10. Forest Change - 1999 to 2010
11. Habitat Map by the Peruvian Ministry of Environment
12. Integrating Airborne and Field Measurements
13. Converting Airborne LiDAR to Aboveground Carbon Density
14. Example CAO Lidar Data:Interoceanic Hwy, Peruvian Amazon
15. Regional-scale Variation in Aboveground Carbon Stocks
16. Progress in PanamaLiDAR calibration
17. Carbon Mappingin the BarroColorado NatureMonument
18. Movie Time
19. Future Work Habitat stratification Dynamic change Wall-to-wall carbon storage
20. The CAO Team
21. Acknowledgements The CAO is made possible by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, the W.M. Keck Foundation, and William R. Hearst III. Additional funding from HSBC, the Andrew Mellon Foundation, the Grantham Foundation, the NASA Biodiversity Program, and the National Science Foundation The CAO team includes Dave Knapp, Guayana Paez- Acosta, Ty Kennedy-Bowdoin, James Jacobson, John Clark, Robin Martin, Aravindh Balaji, and others.