Where Collaboration, Crowdfunding and
Project Management Meet for the
benefit of the people.
Proposal by Ahmed Rami Elsherif
The 3 Concepts
1. Wiki: Is a term used to refer to collaborative
websites where the users of the website are
the owners and developers of its contents.
For example wikipedia.org is an
encyclopedia written and maintained by its
2. Crowdfunding: Is the process of using web
portals to ask the general public for financial
backing for new ventures in return for a
proposed reward. The financing is made of
small contribution by many people and the
reward could be symbolic or material. An
example is kickstarter.com or indiegogo.com.
The 3 Concepts (Cont.)
3. Project Management: according to
pmi.org is the application of
knowledge, skills and techniques to
initialize, plan, execute, control &
monitor and close projects effectively
and efficiently. Knowledge areas to be
considered are scope, time, cost,
Quality, Procurement, Human
Resources, Communications, Risk and
The Current Situation
• Wikis and Crowdfunding platforms have proven to be
successful in USA and Europe where project
management tools and techniques are also widely used.
• The 3 concepts are relatively new to developing
• Traditional approach to aid in developing countries which
is mainly based on “giving the fish and not teaching
fishing to the aid recipients” is facing serious challenges
in relation to its effectiveness.
• Professionals from developing countries are contributing
actively to their adoptive societies in rich countries and
we think they would also do the same to their native
societies given the right circumstances.
• Develop a website wikiprojects.net where users
can collaborate in:
– Presenting the initial project proposal and its
rewards to the community and the
– Planning the project.
– Resourcing the project financially and/or by
other means such man power or materials.
– Executing the project
– Monitoring and Controlling project progress.
The proposal (Cont.)
• wikiprojects.net will be based on the open
source platform developed and used by
• Although the current platform handles
crowdfunding well, enhancements are
needed in the collaboration and project
The idea in Brief
A person or a group has
an idea for a business or
social venture that
needs collaboration and
They collaborate and co-fund
with other people
A project is delivered
successfully and every
body is happy.
Ali is a teacher in a public
school in Gaza. He would like
to build a class library for his
During a chat with his friend
Mohamed he got to know
about wikiprojects. Both
decide to publish the project
on the website
The Project Proposal
Ali and Mohamed collaborate in
promoting the library project in
• To incentivize reading in the young generations.
• To Open their minds to new advance in science and technology.
Project Plan and Budget:
1. Build or buy shelves to hold the books (500 USD)
2. Select a list of books useful for grades 4-6. (accepts
recommendations from other wikiprojects users)
3. Buy the books (1000 USD)
4. Put a simple tracking system for book lending.
• If you give 50 USD you will receive a thank you note from the kids.
• If you give 100 USD your name will be put on the donors plaque.
Majed from California reads
the projects proposal and
decides to pledge 100 USD
Noha is a teacher in Canada
with relevant experience
suggests interesting books
to include in the library
After reading Noha’s list, the
Khatib family realizes that
they have some of the
proposed books and can
donate them to the project
Fadi who works in Aramex talks
to his boss and get a
commitment to take care of the
logistics of sending the books to
With more financial pledges and
commitments of support the
projects goes into the execution
Ali coordinates the execution of
the project tell its successful
delivery and closing.
Thanks to the collaboration of lots people via
wikiprojects.net, Gazan Kids have a lovely class
library with lots of useful books.
A young programmer from Egypt have an IPhone App
idea. He collaborates on his idea with a graphic designer
from California and they promote the project on
wikiprojects.net offering revenue sharing scheme for
contributors to the project.
A talented carpenter in Bolivia has a project budget for
his first workshop. He publishes it in wikiprojects.net and
offers some of his unique handmade pieces in reward for
A group of expatriate Somali’s set up a project in
wikiprojects.net for building a public computer lab in
Where we stand?
The following initial work is already underway:
The hosting of the website
Design of the logo.
Give the website the feel and look of the
Issues that need further discussion and
Legal Entity for the website.
Enhancements to the business model and
What do you think?
I hope that I have conveyed my idea clearly to you,
and I look forward to hear your ideas on:
1. What do you think about wikiprojects.net.
2. How to enhance the wikiprojects.net
3. How we can collaborate on this
Feel free to contact me on: