1. Philippians 3:5-6 (MSG)5 a legitimate birth, circumcised on the eighth day; anIsraelite from the elite tribe of Benjamin; a strict anddevout adherent to Gods law; 6 a fiery defender ofthe purity of my religion, even to the point ofpersecuting Christians; a meticulous observer ofeverything set down in Gods law Book.
2. Philippians 3:7-8 (MSG)7 The very credentials these people are waving aroundas something special, Im tearing up and throwing outwith the trash—along with everything else I used totake credit for. And why? Because of Christ. 8 Yes, allthe things I once thought were so important are gonefrom my life. Compared to the high privilege ofknowing Christ Jesus as myMaster, firsthand, everything I once thought I hadgoing for me is insignificant—dog dung. Ive dumped itall in the trash so that I could embrace Christ 9 and beembraced by him. …
3. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to havetaken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what isbehind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I presson toward the goal to win the prize for which God hascalled me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
4. 1 Corinthians 9:26-27 (NIV)26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly;I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beatmy body and make it my slave so that after I havepreached to others, I myself will not be disqualifiedfor the prize.
5. “Ultimately, in life, there are only 2 controllingambitions – one is our own glory and the other isGod’s glory.” John Stott
6. God’s Glory – Jesus centered ambitionsHere’s how Paul describes a person with Godlyambition10 I want to know Christ and the power of hisresurrection and the fellowship of sharing in hissufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so,somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
7. 1. They want to know Christ“I want to know Christ”
8. ‘Adam knew Eve his wife and she conceived and boreCain’ Gen 4:1 – RSV
9. 2. They want to know the power ofHis resurrection‘and the power of his resurrection”Romans 8:11 (NIV)11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from thedead is living in you, he who raised Christ from thedead will also give life to your mortal bodies throughhis Spirit, who lives in you.
10. 3. They want to share in His sufferings& death“and the fellowship of sharing in hissufferings, becoming like him in his death,”
11. 4. They want to share His destiny11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrectionfrom the dead.
12. Philippians 3:15 (NIV)And if on some point you think differently, that tooGod will make clear to you.
13. Our Glory - Self centered ambitionHere’s how Paul describes a man with ungodlyambitions18 For, as I have often told you before and now sayagain even with tears, many live as enemies of thecross of Christ. 19 Their destiny is destruction, theirgod is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame.Their mind is on earthly things.
14. 2 Corinthians 6:4-5 (NIV)4 Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves inevery way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardshipsand distresses; 5 in beatings, imprisonments and riots;in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger;
15. 1. Appetites determine their lifestyle“their god is their stomach,”
16. 2. They boast when they should blush“their glory is in their shame”
17. 3. Their minds are locked into thisplanet“Their mind is on earthly things.’20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerlyawait a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,
18. Colossians 3:1-2 (NIV)1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, setyour hearts on things above, where Christ is seated atthe right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on thingsabove, not on earthly things.
19. “I was ambitiousand I am ambitioustoday, but I hope itis not for ChuckColson (though Istruggle quite a lotas a matter of fact).But I am ambitiousfor Christ.”Chuck Colson