1. The Great MigrationSome black folks flee the south to search for better treatment and opportunities-did they find it?
2. This family arrives in Chicago in 1910
3. This family from Alabama prepares to leave their farm home for their new life in Chicago.
4. Black folks wait at the train station inAtlanta, Georgia to catch a train north.
5. Map of places blacks moved during the Great Migration
6. Black folks went to the North to: Look for factory work Start new businesses Escape prejudice Seek adventure Discover big city life
7. What they found in the northern cities wassometimes different than what they’d hoped for…
8. Many factories refused to hire them.
9. They were given the hardest and lowest paying jobs in the cities.
10. They were forced to live in overcrowdedapartments in the poorest sections of town.
11. This article from a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania paper says that the black people were bringing the South’s “race problem” with them as they moved into her city.
12. Factories in the north were having trouble finding enoughcheap’ workers and actively advertised in the southern newspapers forblacks to come north to work in the factories. This made white workers who were on strike for better wages and conditions very angry with many blacks who moved north to “take their jobs”.
13. KKK parade in Ohio-1923. The largest KKKgroup in the U.S. was in Ohio in the 1920s.
14. Men like W.E.B. Dubois began to speak out in newspapers and magazines about the bad treatment of black people.
15. W.E.B. Dubois started this organization/magazine that is still around today…http://www.naacp.org/content/main
16. Booker T. Washington believed in better education for black folks and began a black university right here in Alabama-Tuskegee Institute
17. Here is the website for this University here in Alabama…• http://www.tuskegee.edu/