2. WHEAT Wheat is an annual grass and is found in wild as well as cultivated forms. The wild varieties, have no economic value. The cultivated plant is green when is young turning to golden-yellow as it matures.
3. WHEAT Several jointed stalks develop from each seed and grow to a height of two to six feet (60 cm – 1,8 m). Long slender leaves grow from each joint.
4. WHEAT The wheat thrives from May to August and is resistant to low temperatures, so it can be cultivated up to the polar zone. Its development is favorite by high temperature and the sunlight. After the maturation of the seeds, follows the harvest, the threshing and finally its storage.
5. WHEAT The harvest The threshing
6. WHEAT Wheat Storage
7. WHEAT Wheat belongs to the three most important ingredients along with olive oil and wine, that make up the Greek Mediterranean diet.
8. WHEAT It plays a significant part not only in our daily diet, but in our religious tradition as well since it is used for massing, a special type of bread offered after each service.
9. WHEAT The cultivation of wheat was widespread from the ancient times and the ancient Greeks considered that the goddess Demeter taught its cultivation.
10. WHEAT Wheat is unique because it is the only grain which contains a lot of gluten, a protein found in all grains. It also contains fibbers, manganese, magnesium and amino acid, important for our well-being.
11. WHEAT ..So wheat comes at the very base of the food pyramid diet which makes its daily consumption necessary.
12. THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET PYRAMID
13. WHEAT It is one of the most highly nutritious cereals, ideal for our breakfast which is the most necessary meal of the day.
14. WHEAT Flour, pasta and bread are the main products made from wheat.
15. WHEAT The wheat contained in many recipes, too……..let’s see one recipe which has the wheat as the main ingredient..!
16. RECIPE In the celebration of St. Barbara, in the north Greece many people prepare the St. Barbara’s sweet which is a very easy and simple sweet.
17. RECIPE 1)Take a pound of wheat and after the wash, put it in a saucepan with plenty of water to boil for at least 1 hour.
18. RECIPE 2) When it boils pour in 2-3 cups sugar, raisins and dried figs, walnutsand, dried figs or prunes.
19. RECIPE 3)Roasted ½ cup flour, dissolve the flour in a little cold water and then pour the batter is in wheat simmer stirring constantly.
20. RECIPE4)Serve in bowls, sprinkled walnuts, cinnamon and crushed roasted sesame seeds( if we want)….……and our sweet is ready!!!