The Athens Olympic Athletic Centre was named after by the winner of 1986 Marathon, Spiros Louis, resident of municipality of Maroussi. The area of 1000 acres, where it is situated, belongs to the Municipality of Maroussi.
The administratively cornerstone of the Olympic Stadium was placed on 8 th January 1980 by the Prime Minister of Greece of the time and later President of Republic Konstantinos Karamanlis. His vision, that led him to the construction of the Stadium too, was to create slowly all the conditions so that at some time the Olympic games to be hosted again in Greece.
Two years later, on 8 September 1982, opening day of the 13 th European championship EPA 82, the opening ceremony of the Athens Olympic Athletic Centre was held by the President Konstantinos Karamanlis and the Prime Minister Andreas Papandreou. Manufacturer company was the german architect Weidleplan and the architect H.Stalhout, Fr.Herre and D.Andrikopoulos were in charge.
The coming years the Olympic Velodrome(inaugurated 1991), the Olympic Aquatics Centre(1991), the Olympic Indoor Hall Sports(1995) and the Olympic Tennis Centre(2004) as well as other supplementary sports facilities were added to around the centre of main Olympic Stadium.
The new Olympic Sports Centre of Athens was a manufacturing and technological masterpiece, which even today with the addition of rehabilitation works by Santiago Calatrava, is an integral part of the developing Northern suburbs of Athens.