1. Dr. Khalifa Elmusharaf, MBBS, PGDip, FRSPH (UK)PhD researcher Health System & Policy (Ireland)Head of Reproductive & Child Health Research Unit RCRU’University of Medical Sciences & Technology (Sudan)www.rcru.org www.facebook.com/groups/rcru.org www.youtube.com/rcrutv
3. BackgroundIdea of Partnership
4. Different Cultures and Backgrounds Common Mission
10. KnowledgeDirecting ResourcesEmpowermentInterdisciplinary InteractionsUnderstanding Local Context
11. KnowledgeDirecting ResourcesEmpowermentInterdisciplinary InteractionsUnderstanding Local ContextStrengthening Society
13. University of MedicalSciences and TechnologyKassala UniversityMakali Village
15. Toimprove health within Makali village1 through involving the community in deciding what is needed and what is to be done.
16. Tocreate a long- term, committed2 partnership with Makali village, and use this model as a template for other communities and universities in Sudan and around the world.
17. Toprovide UMST and University of Kassala students3 from all academic programs with the opportunity to conduct community-based research, and to be involved in a long-term interdisciplinary project.
18. Phase 1 – Established UMST steering committeePhase 2 – Selected Makali village – Establish collaboration with stake-Phase 3 – PHASES holders including forum, 19th Nov. Forming the baseline survey – Planning workshops including MamaRECPhase 4 July – Nov 2011
19. Phase 1 – Conducting the baseline survey in all households in Makali villagePhase 2 including Geographic Information SystemPhase 3 – – PHASES Survey analysis Qualitative study MamaREC and workshops during RCRUs visit in Kassala regionPhase 4 Nov 2011 – Jan 2012
20. Phase 1 – Designing interventionsPhase 2 – Monitor and evaluatePhase 3 PHASES effects of designed intervention and the MamaRECPhase 4 Jan 2012 – Jan 2013
21. Phase 1 – Hand over monitoring and evaluation responsibilities toPhase 2 University of KassalaPhase 3 – PHASES Hand over monitoring and evaluation responsibilities to Makali village, which is now an independent community.Phase 4 Jan 2013 – Jan 2014
22. Phase 1: What is done?- UMST steering committee -Field trip to Kassala state: - Formed a partnership with Kassala University - Selected Makali village - Involving local stakeholders - Baseline survey- Workshops
23. Phase 2: DoneUMST visit to Kassala state- Mama REC, Project Management and ResearchMethodology- Baseline survey- Strengthening the partnership