Transcript of "Final evaluation benjoshellenclaire"
Media Evaluation Cereal Ellen, Claire, Ben and Josh
1. In what ways does your media products use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?Advert 1• The first real life advert we looked at was a Weetabix advert. The advert was similar to ours because it shows the main character of the advert eating a bowl of cereal and she has energy to get up and dance after eating the breakfast cereal. – We have kept to the conventions of this advert because we liked the idea of the cereal giving you super powers and it has the theme of giving you energy. We wanted to move away from the idea from the idea that cereal gives you energy and that it actually gives you super powers to go and save someone.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YpOw8o34BM
In what ways does your media products use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?Advert 2• The second advert we looked at was a Frosties advert where a tiger eats a bowl of cereal which gives him the courage and power to dive from a high height. It also has a similar slogan to ours as it says ‘bring out the tiger in you’ which is very similar our own ‘bring out the super hero in you’.• This advert is similar to ours as it shows the cereal giving him courage and power.• The advert is different to ours as this is a cartoon and we didn’t have the technology to make a cartoon advert and it doesn’t turn the main character into a super hero but it does have the same message and values as our adverts which is that it gives you energy and courage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbwm0gZhuAk.
In what ways does your media products use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?Advert 3• We also looked at a Coco Pops advert to see how we could make our advert more child friendly and how it could appeal to young children and make parents actually go out and buy the product for their own children.• We felt it was important to use and compare this advert to our own as we also wanted a children like feel it. The advert still has a similar message to ours as it shows the cereal giving you energy and power to succeed.• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KpMfZaxDUA
In what ways does your media products use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?Mise-en-scene• The music we used in our advert is slightly different to the adverts we looked as ours has a more super hero theme to it whereas the Weetabix advert has a more up tempo dub step type feel to it. The Coco Pops and the Frosties advert has more children like music to it which is different to ours.
Question 2 - How effective is the combination of our main product and ancillary texts? • The combination of our main product and ancillary texts are effective as they are pretty similar therefore connect to each other. • Both the main adverts contain a dilemma of someone being stuck up a tree. These people need saving, in both adverts each character eats Super Cereal to make them strong before going to save them, this is reflected in the radio advert.
• Both the main adverts and the radio advert follow the same type of storyline where the main character eats the product and then becomes a superhero and saves someone in need.• The radio ad contains sound effects which relates to both adverts.• The sponsorship advert is slightly different to the other adverts as this contains one person eating breakfast over a dining table, whilst the other character watches in boredom. Once the one character ate “Super Cereal” both characters go into an arm wrestle, this is to show that the cereal gives people power.
• We used a variety of camera shots, the types of shots used in the two main adverts are similar for example, a close-up shot of the product, medium long shots of the person in trouble. Settings were also similar, for example the kitchen areas.• We wanted to create the two main adverts, so they feel as though they are combined together. To do this we created a male and female advert for the same product. The sponsorship advert brings both the main adverts together as a male character and a female character have an arm wrestle. The female character wins as she has previously eaten “Super Cereal”, this reinforces that the cereal gives you strength and power.
How the campaign as a whole attracts the target audience?• The campaign as whole attracts the target audience of young children to teenagers by:• Involving a cartoon styled cereal box.• Using simple and easy storylines so they can understand what is going on.• Using up beat songs to advertise the product makes the song remind them of the product.
3. Audience FeedbackThis evidence shows that our adverts were a success, Lucy Abbott says she would buythis product. These people are part of our target audience of young children toteenagers.
Advert 1- Review Positive Negative• Good range of shot • The voice over at the types and end is a bit boring movements, like how • The start of the music relates to advert is quiet actual products• Has a clear story that relates to the product
Positive Advert 2 Negative• Consistent with • When the girl comes advert 1 to the window you• You see someone can’t here what she eating the product says very well • When the boy says• You have seen them ‘Help save me!’ there save someone is a noise at the start of that clip
Positive Radio AdvertNegative• Sounds a positive • No need for the and happy product thunderstorm sound• Links into advert 1 • Sounds sarcastic and advert 2 when they say ‘yay’• Enthusiastic• Easily recognised piece of music
Positive Sponsorship Negative• Links to other advert • When the girl speaks,• Shows what the it’s a bit muffled cereal does • It’s not very loud at• Makes the girl win the start shows how it gives • The boy changes you powers position within different shots
Successes of the Campaign• Reaches the target audience• They would buy the product• Using the same music throughout links all the adverts together• Makes it memorable
Changes that could be made to the Campaign• When recording the radio advert, would re- record the ‘yay’ to sound more enthusiastic• Re-shoot when the girl is talking through the window as the reviewers said they can’t hear it very well.
Would re-record the worst of the acting parts –Lucy AbbottRe-take a picture of the product to be moreclear.In sponsorship re-take when close up of armwrestle- actress is laughing/ smiling- takes awaymise-en-scene
4. How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?• We filmed our coursework using a Sony portable camera and used the apple macs to edit using the application ‘iMovie’.• The camera we used was very portable and we were able to take it filming with us with no problems as it is light and small.• Simple shots not using too complex filming shots and angles because the shots we felt necessary to use were simple long shots/close-ups and medium shots,• low angle shots.
How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?• Easy to use iMovie to edit. We all had past experiences of being able to use it and use it to a high level.• being able to cut and change things around to make the finish product to a good standard.• Since year 12 I think we have become more experienced with using the technologies for example the cameras and the macs and the applications on the macs.• I think us as a group did find it a lot easier to edit this year because we all edited our work last year on the macs are were able to be used to using iMovie and iMovie HD.
How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?• To research our product we went onto YouTube to look up other cereal brands• We noticed that most of the cereal adverts like to engage the consumers• YouTube is a very effective source to use basically because anything you need to search for which can help you with your research is on there.• We decided to try and make our adverts more funny than serious due to the fact a serious advert could be seen as a more boring one compared to a funny advert.
How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?• We created animatic story boards to follow for our filming• We had to take pictures of the story boards using the camera’s this is another function of the camera’s which was very useful and quick process to get done.
How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?• We did have problems in terms of uploading our products from the cameras onto the apple macs• Eventually we overcame this problem as we managed to change the memory card from the camera into another camera and upload it onto the mac into iMovie finally working.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.