Write a list or draw a mind map
How many can you think of in 3 mins?
Thursday, 06 March 2014
To understand aims of the unit
To begin to define the codes and
conventions of particular genres
There are three parts to the course:
• B321 – Individual portfolio
• B323 – The exam
• B324 – Production portfolio
…will focus on two topics:
• Action Adventure films and Sitcom comedy
We will be focusing on action adventure first.
You must use media Language
•1 hour 45 mins
•It will be in June
•The tasks are unseen
•There is no Higher or Foundation paper
•The exam is marked out of 80
•There are 3 questions on action adventure films (worth 50
marks) and 2 questions on TV comedy (worth 30)
Aims of this unit
Define the Action Adventure Genre
Examine genre codes and conventions
Analyse representations of characters
and location and actions
In your groups discuss the following:
1. What is media? Your group will need to provide me
with an agreed definition.
2. a) What is ‘new media’?
b) Has it changed audience consumption? If
3. Why is the media so powerful?
• You’ve all been given film posters.
• In your groups you need to decide what film
genre they belong to by looking at the codes
1) Using the Film Posters in front of you, fill in as much
information as you can on the table on the other side
of this sheet. Different genres will use different
colours, pictures, etc.
2) Then if, and when, you finish, you need to use that
information to help you draw/sketch a poster for an
action adventure film in your books using the following
storyline to help you:
“An elite CIA team track a killer in Antarctica, as
the sun is about to set for six months”.
On the poster make sure you use appropriate colours,
fonts, words, titles, images etc.
• Without hesitating tell me one thing that you
have learnt this lesson.