View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
• Mindmap or list all the different types
of disabilities you can think of.
Definition of disability
• Disability is a lack of ability relative to a
personal or group standard or norm. In
reality there is often simply a spectrum of
• e.g.: Physically and mentally disabled,
Hearing impaired, Visually impaired, Short
term and long term disability, cognitive
Can you think of any recent
programs or films you have
watched that contain any
How were they represented?
and innocent; a
The Elephant Man
Victim or an
Whatever happened to Baby Jane?
Non-sexual or incapable
of a worthwhile
Born on the Fourth of July
Incapable of fully
participating in everyday
The absence of disabled people from
everyday situations, and not being
shown as integral and productive
members of society. When they are
shown, the focus is on their
In pairs: How would you represent them
using the micro elements?
• Physically disabled:
• Mentally disabled:
Watch the following clip
• Choose at least two micro elements
• Write detailed notes on both
• Be prepared to write at least 2 PEEs for
• Write a PEE for your chosen micro elements:
• Point: Your area of representation
• E.g. A typical representation of disability is shown
• Evidence: Your micro element
• E.g. This is seen when….
• Explain: Linking the two
• E.g. This demonstrates stereotypical representation
of disabilities because…
• This is/is not a true representation of disability
Is their point accurate?
Have they followed the PEE structure?
Have they used lots of media terms?
Have they linked their answer to the
area of representation?
• Have they written clearly?
• Give one mark for each – Will you score