1. Social Bookmarking in the Classroom By: Ellen Cordeiro @elliemellie
2. Objectives• Define• Create• Educational Applications• Practice
3. What is SocialBookmarking?
5. Out with the old...
6. BookmarkingImage created by colourized and can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/colourized/2096715790/sizes/m/in/photostream/
8. NotesPhoto by vintagedept and can be found at http://www.wylio.com/credits/Flickr/3744085670
9. Annotations Photo used with permission from Luis Caldas de Oliveira and can be found athttp://www.luiscaldasdeoliveira.com/2007/12/31/comprimir-um-livro-em-2-paginas/lang-pref/en/
10. In with the new...
11. u·biq·ui·tous/yooˈ bikwətəs/ ͞Adjective:Present, appearing, or foundeverywherePresent, appearing, or foundeverywhere iPhone 4 - Twitter photo by William Hook and can be found at http://www.wylio.com/credits/Flickr/2587135610 iPhone photo by William Hook and can be found at http://www.wylio.com/credits/Flickr/4742869256 iPad photo by HS and can be found at http://www.wylio.com/credits/Flickr/4527081753
12. "Digest of Internet Information, Groups and Other stuff."
13. TagsImage created by Jerry “Woody” and can be found at http://www.wylio.com/credits/Flickr/3251579331
15. “Tagging is a significantfeature of social bookmarkingsystems, enabling users toorganize their bookmarks inflexible ways and developshared vocabularies known asfolksonomies.” ~Wikipedia
16. Why Diigo?
17. Diigo Educator Accounts• Student Accounts• Create Groups• Privacy Settings• Educational Ads Image created by Alan Cleaver and can be found at http://www.wylio.com/credits/Flickr/4105726930
19. Let’s create an accountGo to http://www.diigo.com/ and click on GetStarted Now
20. Go to www.diigo.com/education
21. Fill in the information required and click Apply for Diigo Educator Account
23. Classroom Application• Share Bookmarks for research project• Students share annotations and highlight important information right on the website• Ask questions for students to respond to• Archive information• Collaborate• Manage information• Evaluate resources
24. How will you use it?
25. Image created by Images Money and can be found at http://www.wylio.com/credits/Flickr/5858002158
26. My DIIGO PLN• http://www.diigo.com/profile/Stevenanderson• http://www.diigo.com/profile/patricklarkin• http://www.diigo.com/profile/Willrich• http://www.diigo.com/profile/Shellyterrell
27. Things to consider• Poor use of tags• Skewed views• Just another location to store data...
28. Activity• Locate a resource• Use the Diigolet to 1. Highlight • Add a sticky note• Add tag(s)• Create a group and add resource to group
29. Creating Groups and Adding Students
30. Create a GroupLog into DIIGO and click on Teacher Console
31. Notice you can make your group public or private
32. Notice there are three ways to add group members
33. Creating Student Accounts
34. Click on Option 1 to create student accounts without using email.
35. You can either mannually type in students names or you can upload an already created CSV file you can upload an already created CSV file
36. don’t use student fullnames when creating accounts Use first name and last initial or their log in I.D.s