1. LIVING AND GOING TOSCHOOL IN ISTANBUL for DANIELA & MATEO CASALINO Monday 13th June 2011
2. TURKEY TÜRKİYEPopulation: 73.722.988Size of the country: 783,562 km2 (302,535 sq mi)Capital City: AnkaraMajor Cities: Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Adana, AntalyaBoarding Countries: Turkey is bordered by eight countries:Bulgaria tothe northwest; Greece to the west; Georgia to the northeast; Armenia,Azerbaijan and Iran to the east; and Iraq and Syria to the southeastWeather: The coastal areas of Turkey bordering the Sea of Marmaraincluding Istanbul, which connects the Aegean Sea and the Black Seahave a transitional climate between a temperate Mediterranean climateand a temperate Oceanic climate with warm to hot, moderately drysummers and cool to cold, wet winters. Snow does occur on the coastalareas of the Sea of Marmara and the Black Sea almost every winter, but itusually lies no more than a few days. Snow on the other hand is rare in thecoastal areas of the Aegean Sea and very rare in the coastalareas of the Mediterranean Sea.
3. ISTANBUL Area: 5.712 km2 Population: 11 million Traffic Code: 34 -Istanbul is Turkeys mostpopulous city, and its cultural and financial center. - Located on both sides of the Bosphorus the narrow strait between the Black Sea and the Marmara Sea, Istanbul bridgesAsia and Europe both physically and culturally.
4. • The ancient mosques, palaces, museums and bazaars reflect the city’s diverse history. •Taksim Square •Bosphorus •Princes Islands
5. MAIDEN’S TOWER PLACES TO HAGA SOPHIA SEEMINIATURK TOPKAPI PALACE
6. THE SUBURBS EAST SUBURBSWEST SUBURBS
7. SHARED TAXI BUS & (dolmus) METROBUSMETRO BOAT TAXI Akbil PUBLIC TRAM TRANSPORTATION TRAIN Student akbil
8. … other transportation options CYCLING WALKING The best way to explore the city isExcept for the walking.certain cycling areas,bicycling isdangerous in thecity traffic
9. Istanbul Dolphinarium PARKS Yildiz Park Emirgan ParkGulhane Park Caddebostan Seaside Golden Horn
10. Neighboring pLAcEs of interestAgva Abant Armutlu Sapanca Kerpe Sile
11. FESTIVALS FOR CHILDREN Istanbul International Childrens Film Festival Annual : November 2011 Prizes: Competitions for long, short films, animationmovies and documentaries, Popcorn Award, Childrens Programs: Documentaries, Animations, Shorts Number of films Age between 6 and 15
12. CHILDREN’S DAY FESTIVAL (National Sovereignty and Children’s Day!) This is a festival which is celebrated on April 23 each year in Turkey. This festival is gathering the children from all over the world under the motto of "Love, Friendship and Peace". April 23 was proclaimed a national holiday in 1921.Since 1927 it has also become Childrens Day an official holiday dedicated to the children of Turkey and the world. The day is celebrated annually in Turkey with spectacular activities.
13. Mini Bank International Children’s Movie Festival Annual: April 2012The Garanti Mini Bank International Children’s Movie Festival,is the first film festival in Turkey exclusively for children.
14. SPORTS IN TURKEY Flying & Ballooning Scuba Diving Golf WindsurfingKiteboarding Sailing Football Rafting& Canoeing
15. Fishing Hunting Skiing Oil Wrestling Horseback riding Trekking
16. Istanbul Sultans Lacrosse Club• Facebook page• http://www.lacrosseglobal.com/about_us/Contact Us.html
17. SPORTS CLUBS oFENERBAHÇEo GALATASARAY oBEŞİKTAS
18. BASKETBALL TEAMS EFES PILSEN ULKER FENERBAHCE BESIKTAS DARUSSAFAKA
19. THE VOLLEYBALL TEAM ECZACIBASI SPORTS CLUB (the best one)
20. TENNIS CLUBSo Club Istanbul Tennis Academy o MILTAS o Istanbul Tenis Club o Marmara Sport o TED Sports Club
21. ENTERTAINMENT• Things to do after school and at weekends After school; - playing with friends, doing team sports Weekends; - going to theatres, plays, concerts, lunaparks - going out of town to see new places close by -playing soccer/football with friends; watching football teams playing in the Stadium. - ice-skating, bowling
22. …fun places to visit• Istanbul Toy Museum (Oyuncak Muzesi) http://www.istanbuloyuncakmuzesi.com/eng/• Cevahir Mall- Atlantis Entertainment Centre http://www.istanbulcevahir.com/english/index.html#/atlantis• MiniaTurk http://www.miniaturk.com.tr/en/index.php• Rahmi Koc Museum http://www.rmk-museum.org.tr/english/index.html
23. SCHOOL CLUBS Chess ClubSwimming ClubFootball ClubsVolleyball Clubs
24. THEATRE TV RADIO CINEMA
25. HOLIDAYS IN TURKEY NATIONAL SOVEREIGNTY AND CHILDREN FEAST (One Day) - April 23rd Commemoration of the ﬁrst opening of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey at Ankara in 1920. Dedicated to the children. ATATURK COMMEMORATION & YOUTH AND SPORT FEAST (One Day) - May 19thCommemoration of the beginning of national liberation movement initiated in 1919 by Ataturk’s landing in Samsun. Dedicated to the youth.
26. VICTORY DAY (One day) - August 30th Commemoration of the victory at the final battle in Dumlupinar endingthe Turkish Independence War in 1922, dedicated to the armed forces. REPUBLIC DAY ( One day) - October 29th Commemoration of the proclamation of the republic in 1923. Also the halfday in the afternoon of previous day. NEW YEAR’S DAY - January 1st First day of the year
27. RELIGIOUS HOLIDAYS RAMADAN Feast (3 Days ) - the dates ofRamadan vary, moving backwards about ten days each year depending on the moon.SACRIFICE FEAST(4 Days) - 70 days after the end of the month of Ramadan.
28. SCHOOL LIFE • School Hours & terms/semesters IICS Hisar CampusMonday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 08:30-15:30 Tuesday: 08:30-13:30 Sept 6 -first day at school 17 Dec - 8 Jan Winter Holiday 27 Feb - 4 March no school 16 - 22 April no school 22 June- last day of school
29. SCHOOL LIFE cont’d• Dress Code IICS - other schools• After School Activities Ball Games/ Cross Country/ Folk Dance/ Gymnastics/ Hip Hop Dance & Fashion/ Karate/ Modern Ballet/ Soccer/ Table Tennis/ Ultimate Frisbee/ Calendar Making/ Crazy Contraptions/ Drawing, Sketching& Painting/ Electronics Club/ Language Games/ Marvelous Munchies Cooking Club/ Movie Club/ Sewing/ Touch Typing
30. The MOVE• Things to take• Things to leave behind
31. FOOD National Dishes• Dolma: grape leaves & vegetables such aszucchini and eggplant that is stuffed witha meat or rice mix• Kebab: grilled cubes of skeweredseasoned meat, usually either lamb,beef or chicken
32. Meze: an array of small dishes served first during a meal of grilled fish or meatMuhallebi: puddings made with starch and rice flour, usually flavored with citrus fruits
33. • Boza: a thick fermented drinkmade of wheat berries, usuallyeaten with a dash of cinnamonand a handful of roasted chickpeas
34. MAKING NEW FRIENDS Meeting The Locals Meeting Other Expatriates
35. FAMOUS SPORTS PEOPLE Arda Turan - Sinem Kobal football player / actressIbrahim Kutluay - Demet Senerbasketball player/model
36. CELEBRITIESKivanc Tatlitugactor
37. Kenan Imirzalioglu actorTuba Unsal actress
38. Beren Saat actressKenan Dogulu singer
39. Cansu Dere actress Cem Yilmaz actor
40. Mehmet Gunsur actor Berrak Tuzunatac actress
41. Recommendations• Google Translate• Books: Alaaddin and His Magic Lamp Nasreddin Hodja Stories/Jokes Traditional Turkish Shadow Puppet Theatre Karagoz&Hacivat• Websites: Kids.Net.Au http://encyclopedia.kids.net.au/page/tu/Turkey National Geographic Kids http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/places/find/turkey/