What our next generation like?Innovative, creative Social Networking -> share together, work together, IM, SMS, facebook, Embrace to new technologies ipod, iphone, new mobile phonesQuick/ Just in Time instantly, last minute generation
This is Red River College Learning Commons in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.Library has been renamed as Learning Resource Centre (LRC) for 20 years. In the next 5 year, it may change as the ‘Learning Commons’.
Learning Commons is a place … group work & collaboration teaching & learning comfortable & flexible furniture lots of computer stations equipped with both hardware & software for productions
Monash University describes learning commons as an ‘environment that is rich in technology and support services, providing information resources and collections (both print and electronic), technology (both software and hardware) and mixed study spaces for students to work in one safe and secure location with necessary support services and language and learning staff’ (Burke 2004, p. 1).
4. Learning Commons is a place …<br />Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ncsulearningcommons/ <br />
5. What is Learning Commons?<br />
7. North Carolina State University (NCSU) Library <br />Source: http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/techlending/ebooks.html<br />
9. University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC) Undergraduate Library<br />Source: http://www.library.illinois.edu/ugl/<br />
10. University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC) Undergraduate Library<br />Source: http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalLiteracy<br />
11. Yale University Library Facebook<br />Source: http://www.facebook.com/yalelibrary<br />
12. North Carolina State University (NCSU) Library <br />Source: http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/m/about.html<br />
13. Reference Service – IM & Mobile Text<br />Source: http://www.library.yale.edu/referece/asklive/index.html<br />
14. Boston College Universities Library<br />Source: http://libguides.bc.edu/<br />
15. Boston College Universities Library<br />Source: http://libguides.bc.edu/<br />
16. Thank you!<br />
17. Reference<br />Kroski, E., 2 Dec 2009. Next-Gen Libraries. ilibrarianblog. Available from: http://oedb.org/blogs/ilibrarian/2009/next-gen-libraries-presentation/ [Accessed 7 Dec 2009]. <br />Kroski, E., 20 Nov 2007. ACRL NY Social Software in Academic Libraries.ilibrarianblog. Available from: http://oedb.org/blogs/ilibrarian/2007/acrl-ny-social-software-in-academic-libraries/<br />[Accessed 7 Dec 2009]. <br />Burke, J. 2004. Learning Commons Concept for Monash University: Discussion paper. Monash University. [Cited in] Keating, S. & Gabb, R., 2005.Putting Learning into Learning Commons. Victoria University. Available from: http://tls.vu.edu.au/PEC/LC%20paper%20(pdf).pdf [Accessed 8 Dec 2009].<br />Loertscher, D., 2009. Rethinking the School Library From the Ground Up . In: 3th Your School Library Online Conference: designing the future: 23th Oct -15th Nov 2009. Available from: http://voicethread.com/share/686820/ [Accessed 10 Dec 2009]<br />Flickr Creative Commons. [online] Available from: http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons. [Accessed 10 Dec 2009]<br />