*The Washington Times, More women lured to pornography addiction, Rachel B. Duke, Sunday, July 11, 2010.
1. Modestly DressedBiblical Instructions and Godly Suggestions
2. Men Have a Problem Men, generally more so than women, havedifficulty with lust. Matt. 5:28 *2008 Internet Pornography Statistics:70% consumers are men. A majority of ads promoting sensuality are targetedat men.
3. Women Also Have a Problem They have been able to prey upon the weakness ofmen.“Do not desire her beauty in your heart, Nor lether capture you with her eyelids. For onaccount of a harlot one is reduced to a loaf ofbread, And an adulteress hunts for theprecious life.”(Proverbs 6:25–26)
4. Christians Still Have Temptations The gospel (Rom. 1:16) has powerfully saved usfrom our sins. Through the love and mercy of God His childrenare continually being molded into the image ofJesus by the renewing of our Spirit-driven mind.Rom. 8:29, 12:1-2 Even still, the battle rages on. Gal. 5:17,Rom. 7:21-23
5. What Does TheNew Testament Reveal?1 Timothy 2:9-10, 1 Pet. 3:3-4ff
6. 1 Timothy 2:9-10―Likewise, I want women to adorn themselveswith proper clothing, modestly anddiscreetly, not with braided hair and gold orpearls or costly garments, but rather by meansof good works, as is proper for women makinga claim to godliness.‖(1 Timothy 2:9–10, NASB95)
7. 1 Peter 3:3-4…“Your adornment must not be merelyexternal—braiding the hair, and wearing goldjewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be thehidden person of the heart, with theimperishable quality of a gentle and quietspirit, which is precious in the sight of God….”(1 Peter 3:3–4, NASB95)
8. Literal or Principle? If to be taken literally:• “Adornment must not be external”• No: braids, pearls or gold jewelry If Principally: inward, not (merely) externaladornment is what is important.• The inward adornment: the hidden person of the heart.• The outward adornment (reflecting the heart) wouldmanifest proper, modest, and discreet clothing.
9. “…Girls in my youth groupdefinitely have caused meto stumble. It’s really hardfor a guy to worship Godwhen they’re standing rightin front of you with asleeveless shirt and tightshorts… Sometimes I feelas though I have to repentfor coming to church.”
10. “This really is a hard challenge that we allmust overcome and I would appreciate ifour sisters in Christ were the one group ofgirls that we could count on to help us withthis challenge.”Age 15
11. Seek personal feedback on your attire from thegodly men and women in your life. Remember, modesty is first and foremost a matterof the heart, not the wardrobe. Faithfully pursue the imperishable beauty of agentle and quiet spirit. (1 Pet. 3:4) Let your good works outshine your outwardappearance. (1 Tim. 2:10) Dress for the glory of God. (1 Cor. 10:31)Alex and Brett Harris
12. Final Thoughts ALL – Do not discourage your fellow sisters inChrist who love the Lord but may be immodest to you…ENCOURAGE her! WOMEN – Do not shrug off the pleas from yourbrothers in Christ who STRUGGLE MIGHTILY withclothing that are considered immodest…CONSIDER your brothers in Christ!