STEMming Off Stories
Alisa Downey and Tina Coffey
Special Education Teacher
Oak Grove Elementary
Instructional Technology Resource Teacher
Roanoke County Schools
Objectives for this Presentation
• Hands on STEM activity based on story
• Ideas to Differentiate/Accommodate/Adapt a STEM project
• More Resources
How we started with STEM stories…
• Big Bad Wolf Video
Your class has just read, Snowmen All Year Long and At Home in the Cold. It’s
now your job to build an outfit to keep a snowman cold for as long as possible!
You have 30 minutes.
• Draw a design for the snowman’s outfit
• Figure out which materials you want to “buy” from your box.
• Build your snowman’s outfit using the supplies
• Be ready share.
Student Snowmen Projects
• Videolicious Video
Turning a Story into STEM
• Look for science, math, or engineering embedded in the story.
• Remember stories can be used with various grade levels.
• Consider what types of digital technology would enhance the project.
Example Project: The True Story of the 3 Little
• The Fourth Little Pig’s House
Example Project: Rosa Parks
• Read the book you’ve been given
• Come up with a STEM Project
• Think about your own class and utilize technology, behavior strategies, or
academic strategies to meet the needs of your students.
• Be ready to share!
• Check out the our Conference page on the Oak Grove Digital
Check out Alisa’s Blogs here:
Check out Tina’s Blog here: