Welcome to the training module on SinglFuse™ Thin Film Chip Fuses. This training module introduces SinglFuse thin film chip fuses and their construction.
1 Bourns’ SinglFuse product-line, is a family of thin film chip fuses built in surface mount packages. 2 These fuses are designed to provide overcurrent protection for a wide range of circuits and hence the family is comprised of 70 different part numbers ranging from 500 mA to 7 amps. 2 These parts are built in 3 different footprints: namely 0402, 0603 and 1206 case codes. 1 Within each of these product sizes, comes both the fast and slow blow fuses.
The applications for SinglFuse are wide and varied. They include: Portable Memory, LCD monitors, Disk Drives, PDAs, Digital Cameras, DVD Players, Cell Phones, Rechargeable battery packs, Battery chargers, Set top boxes and Industrial Controllers. These are just some of the many applications for SinglFuse products. To verify if they are suitable in your applications, please contact your local Bourns representative.
The 70 different SinglFuse models all have the same common construction. They are based upon a ceramic substrate with a thin film printed fuse element. This element is protected with an epoxy coating and wrap around tin plated terminals for connectivity. In subsequent slides, we will explore in further details the construction of these SinglFuse products.
The foundation material for the SinglFuse thin film chip fuses is an aluminum oxide ceramic substrate.
This substrate has a polymer isolation layer deposited on it.
With the isolation layer in place, the key thin film element is printed onto the component. For customer specific applications, this thin film element is easily modified to achieve unique fusing characteristics.
With the fusing element in place, a polymer film is deposited to cover and protect the element.
This layer is further reinforced with a more robust epoxy coating.
Next, the part marking is printed onto the upper surface of the component.
To build up the part conductivity, the lower surfaces are copper plated.
They are subsequently plated with an inner solder layer.
And finally, the outer surface is plated with 100% tin to allow standard lead free reflow soldering.
The advantages of this construction compared to other fuse types, is the thin film design. The printing of thin film, allows very precise fusing characteristics. A thin film printing-line can readily handle large volume manufacturing and yet has full flexibility to accommodate unique fusing characteristic requirements from specific customers. These unique parts can easily be made without causing any major interruptions to the production. Unlike other fuse types, when a thin film fuse opens, it operates with a minimum amount of smoke. As was highlighted in the construction of these fuses, all the materials used are both RoHS compliant and halogen free.
A summary of the SinglFuse product family is listed in this table. In total, the SinglFuse product line has 6 series models. As was introduced earlier, there are 3 product sizes, 0402, 0603 and 1206. Within each of these sizes are the two fusing types of fast acting and slow blow. The current ranges of each size starts at 500mA and goes up to 4 amps for the 0402 size, 5 amps for the 0603 size and 7 amps for the 1206 size.
There are 70 different part numbers within this product-line and the part number for each one is quite straight forward. All models begin with SF which represents the SinglFuse trademark. The following 4 numbers represent the product size. In this example, the 1206 represents the case size 1206. This could also be 0603 or 0402. The next character is always a letter, either S or F. S represents Slow Blow type fuses and F represent Fast Acting type fuses. The next 3 characters will always be numbers. These numbers represent the rated current of the fuse. In this example, 050 represent 0.5amps. If the part number showed 500, that would represent 5amps. Finally the last 2 characters represent the packaging of the component which is tape and reel.
Thank you for taking the time to view this presentation on “ SinglFuse™ Thin Film Chip Fuses” . If you would like to learn more or go on to purchase some of these devices, you may either click on the part list link, or simply call our sales hotline. For more technical information you may either visit the BOURNS site, or if you would prefer to speak to someone live, please call our hotline number, or even use our ‘live chat’ online facility.
1. SinglFuse™ Thin Film Chip Fuses <ul><li>Source: BOURNS </li></ul>
2. Introduction <ul><li>Purpose </li></ul><ul><ul><li>To introduce SinglFuse ™ thin film chip fuses and their construction </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Outline </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Features and target applications </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>The construction of the SinglFuse </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Part Numbering system </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Content </li></ul><ul><ul><li>18 pages </li></ul></ul>
3. What is SinglFuse ™ ? <ul><li>Line of thin film, surface mount, chip fuses </li></ul><ul><li>Range of 70 part numbers </li></ul><ul><li>One-time acting fuse </li></ul><ul><li>3 product sizes </li></ul><ul><ul><li>0402 (1005 metric) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>0603 (1508 metric) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>1206 (3216 metric) </li></ul></ul><ul><li>2 fuse types </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Fast acting </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Slow Blow </li></ul></ul>Introduction VS I Slow VS I Fast
5. What is the construction of SinglFuse ™ ? Ceramic Substrate Copper / Nickel Plating Fuse Element <ul><ul><li>Tin Plating </li></ul></ul>Epoxy Overcoat
6. How is SinglFuse™ made? Substrate Material: Al 2 O 3 Top View Cross Section
7. How is SinglFuse™ made? Top View Cross Section Polymer Isolation Layer
8. How is SinglFuse™ made? Top View Cross Section Thin Film Fuse Element
9. How is SinglFuse™ made? Top View Cross Section 1 st polymer over coating
10. How is SinglFuse™ made? Top View Cross Section 2 nd epoxy over coating
11. How is SinglFuse™ made? Top View Cross Section Printing Y
12. How is SinglFuse™ made? Copper Plating Y
13. How is SinglFuse™ made? Terminal Solder Plating - Ni-Cr/Ni-Cu alloy Y
14. How is SinglFuse™ made? Terminal Solder Plating - SN Y
15. Advantages to SinglFuse™ construction <ul><li>Thin Film: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Precision fusing characteristics </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Easily customized for specific applications </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Can be manufactured in high volumes </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Fuse operates with a minimum amount of smoke </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Materials </li></ul><ul><ul><li>RoHS compliant </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Halogen Free </li></ul></ul>
16. SinglFuse™ Product Families Slow Blow SF-1206S 500mA to 7.0A Fast Acting 1206 ( 3216 Metric ) SF-1206F Slow Blow SF-0603S 500mA to 5.0A Fast Acting 0603 ( 1608 Metric ) SF-0603F Slow Blow SF-0402S 500mA to 4.0A Fast Acting 0402 ( 1005 Metric ) SF-0402F Current Range Fuse Type Size Series
17. SinglFuse™ - how to order SF-1206S050-2 SinglFuse™ Size 1206 0603 0402 Fuse Type S = Slow Blow F= Fast Acting Rated Current 050 = 0.5A 500 = 5.0A Packaging 2 = tape & reel
18. Additional Resource <ul><li>For ordering the SinglFuse fuses, please click the part list or </li></ul><ul><li>Call our sales hotline </li></ul><ul><li>For additional inquires contact our technical service hotline </li></ul><ul><li>For more product information go to </li></ul><ul><ul><li>http://www.bourns.com/ProductLine.aspx?name=singlfuse_thin_film_chip_fuses </li></ul></ul>