Welcome to the training module on MCP656x High Speed, Low Power Comparators.
This training module will introduce Microchip’s 8-bit PIC microcontrollers.
The MCP656x family of comparators are fabricated using Microchip’s low power CMOS technology. The low operating voltage range of 1.8V to 5.5V and low current consumption makes these devices ideal for battery applications requiring higher speed and low power. The MCP656x families are available in single, dual and quad packaging options and are also available with either push-pull or open-drain outputs.
The single comparators are offered in space saving SOT-23 and SC-70 packages. The dual versions are available in industry standard pinouts in an 8-pin SOIC and 8-pin MSOP, while the quad comparators are available in 14-pin SOIC and TSSOP packaging.
As previously mentioned, the MCP656x comparators are designed on a low power CMOS technology which makes them ideal for battery powered applications. In addition, the 47ns propagation delay makes these comparators fast enough for the most demanding applications.
The combination of low operating voltage and rail-to-rail output operation provide maximum performance and usability by maximizing the dynamic range of the output signal even at low operating voltages.
The small packaging options provide increased flexibility in applications in which minimizing the size of the PCB is critical.
The MCP656x comparator families offer a variety of features including low quiescent current, low operating voltage, rail-to-rail operation and small packaging.
The ordering information for theMCP656x comparators is shown in this page. These comparators are available over an extended temperature range from -40 deg to +125 deg Celcius.
Low power, small packaging, and low operating voltage make these comparators ideal for a variety of applications . These include
Thank you for taking the time to view this presentation on “ MCP656x H igh Speed, Low Power Comparators” . If you would like to learn more or go on to purchase some of these devices, you may either click on the part list link, or simply call our sales hotline. For more technical information you may either visit the MICROCHIP site, or if you would prefer to speak to someone live, please call our hotline number, or even use our ‘live chat’ online facility. You may visit Element 14 e-community to post your questions.
1. MCP656x High Speed Low Power Comparators <ul><li>Source: M ICROCHIP </li></ul>
2. Introduction <ul><li>Purpose </li></ul><ul><ul><li>To overview of the MCP656x families of comparators. </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Outline </li></ul><ul><ul><li>MCP656x family overview </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Different package types </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Key advantages </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Part Numbering </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Applications </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Content </li></ul><ul><ul><li>11 pages </li></ul></ul>
3. Key Features <ul><li>Operating voltage from 1.8V to 5.5V </li></ul><ul><li>Low quiescent current, 100 μ A typical </li></ul><ul><li>47ns propagation delay with 100mV overdrive </li></ul><ul><li>Rail-to-Rail Input and Output </li></ul><ul><li>Extended temperature range </li></ul><ul><ul><li>-40 °C to +125°C </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Push-Pull and Open Drain Outputs </li></ul><ul><li>Available in Single, Dual and Quad </li></ul>
4. MCP656x Family of Comparators OUT Dual MCP6562/7 OUT A IN A +IN A V SS OUT B V DD IN B +IN B SOIC MSOP V DD V SS V IN V IN V OUT Quad MCP6564/9 SOIC TSSOP OUT A IN A +IN A V DD +IN B IN B OUT B OUT D IN D +IN D V SS +IN C IN C OUT C OUT Single MCP6561/6 IN +IN V SS V DD SOT23 SC70 Single MCP6561R/6R IN +IN V DD V SS SOT23
5. Key Advantages <ul><li>Low quiescent current: 100µA typical for 47ns propagation delay </li></ul><ul><ul><li>So What: Low quiescent current is ideal for battery applications. The high speed makes these comparators attractive in a wide variety of applications. </li></ul></ul>
6. Key Advantages <ul><li>Low voltage operation (1.8V) with Rail-to-Rail Input/Output </li></ul><ul><ul><li>So What: 1.8V operation allows two dry cells to be drained well beyond typical use. (1.8V is the 90% drained level.) Rail to rail allows full range use even in low supply conditions. </li></ul></ul>
7. Key Advantages <ul><li>Small Packaging (SOT-23, SC-70) </li></ul><ul><ul><li>So What: The combination of small packaging, low quiescent current and low operating voltage make these comparators ideal for portable applications where PCB size is limited. </li></ul></ul>
8. MCP656x: Features, Benefits, Results Feature Benefits Results Better performance across entire operating voltage range Greater dynamic range, even at lower operating voltages Rail-to-Rail Input/Output Allows for smaller system solutions Minimizes PCB footprint Small Packaging (SOT-23, SC-70) Allows for full battery utilization Allows comparator to be powered directly from the battery Low Operating Voltage 1.8V to 5.5V Batteries last longer and minimizes thermal related issues Less current to operate the comparator and generates less heat Low Quiescent Current (100 µA)
9. Part Numbering MCP6562T-E/SN MCP: Microchip Peripheral Part Type: 65: Comparator Temp: E = -40°C to +125°C Package: OT: SOT-23-5 LT: SC-70-5 SN: SOIC-8 MS: MSOP-8 SL: SOIC-14 ST: TSSOP-14 T&R # of Channels Base Part Number: 656x
10. Applications <ul><li>Portable/Battery powered equipment </li></ul><ul><li>Power Supply Feedback </li></ul><ul><li>Window Comparators </li></ul><ul><li>Motor Control </li></ul><ul><li>Alarm and Monitoring Circuits </li></ul><ul><li>RC Timing Circuitry </li></ul>
11. Additional Resource <ul><li>For ordering MCP656x Comparator, please click the part list or </li></ul><ul><li>Call our sales hotline </li></ul><ul><li>For more product information go to </li></ul><ul><ul><li>MCP656x Comparators </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Visit Element 14 to post your question </li></ul><ul><ul><li> www.element-14.com </li></ul></ul><ul><li>For additional inquires contact our technical service hotline or even use our “Live Technical Chat” online facility </li></ul>