What is wearables?
Small-sized personal computing
devices that are worn by the
bearer under, with or on top of
Evolution of Personal Computing
From desktop PCs to smart watches — personal computers
become smaller and smarter.
Leave it on a desk.
Carry it in a briefcase.
Carry it in a pocket.
Carry it on your hand.
But why do we need it?
Because we don’t need anything bigger anymore.
We use smallest devices that can suit our needs.
• 2005: laptop is powerful enough so I don’t need my desktop PC.
• 2010: smartphone is functional enough so I don’t need my laptop.
• 2015: watch is smart enough so I don’t need my smartphone.
New devices, new possibilities.
Can your smartphone do it?
• Fitness tracking
• Sleep tracking & smart alarm
• Medical monitoring
The market is growing.
Few years ago, there was no wearables market.
In a few years from now, it will be multi-billion market.
• 78.4 % CAGR
• 71 % Samsung market share
(Strategy Analytics, May 2014)
Wearables market, M units (IDC)
Secret of success № 1: User Interface.
User Interface is not about icons anymore.
• Touchscreen gesture control
• Shake / move control
• Above-the-screen gesture control
• Natural voice recognition (S-Voice, Google Voice)
• Muscle movements and brain waves recognition
Secret of success № 2: Form Factor.
We are still looking for the best one.
But the only limit now is our imagination.
• Smart watch
Samsung Gear 2, Motorola Moto 360
• Smart band
Samsung Gear Fit
• Smart glasses
• Modular bands? Contact lenses? Brain implants?
Secret of success № 3: Integration.
Specialized tools are good for mill-hands.
But no consumer wants to carry 5 devices if they can carry just a
• Smart watch
• Digital camera
• Fitness tracker (HRM, pedometer)
• IR transmitter
$ 1,250,000 in prizes.
Round 1: May 7 — July 14, 2014. $ 2,000 for each of 200 finalists.
Round 2: August 15 — September 30. Total of $850,000 in additional prize money
and marketing exposure for the winning apps.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.