7. UniProtKB 4.5M entries reviewed 0.3M Species & organelles Description of function etc Keywords & GO Description of sequence features Sequence(s) Literature Citations Cross-References Protein & gene names
8. <ul><li>What is an Ontology? </li></ul>
9. unique identifier names and synonyms relationships within the ontology stable! mapped to other ontologies human-readable definitions machine-readable definitions
10. <ul><li>Why? </li></ul>
11. Practical. Navigation, auto-completion etc
13. Consistency! More than one way to say one thing...
24. Summary Increased use of ontologies is inevitable as data volumes grow. UniProt has (or is in the process of introducing) several ontologies. What data will be "ontologized" and how detailed the ontologies are depends on your feedback ! [email_address]