SFSU ISYS 363
The five group collaboration tools we chose to examine
are Skype for audio/video conferencing, Google Docs
for online applications, Outlook for email and chat,
Social Media, and I-Learn for collaboration.
● A program that is easily accessible through the
internet and is multiplatform.
● Needs to be free of charge and offer cloud storage.
● Our team has to be able to communicate easily in a
● Files must be available to upload and view at any
● The program should offer a wide variety of tools to
create and edit projects.
● The program should be user friendly and easy to
Skype - Audio/Video
● Skype is one of the cheapest VoIP service available.
● Skype offers unlimited minute subscription.
● The Skype software also offers instant messaging (IM).
● Skype is light on features.
● It lacks call return.
● Skype blocks calls.
Google Drive - Online Apps
● Google drive is free and stored in the cloud.
● You can create new files like word documents, spreadsheets,
presentations, forms, and drawings, or upload existing files.
● It is always up to date as you can make changes to a file in one place
and it automatically updates everywhere.
● Documents are safe, secure, and sharable.
● There are not as many editing features in the word document
● Presentations are limited in themes and designs.
● Must sign up for a Google account for access to create documents.
Social Media: Facebook/Twitter
● Facebook is worldwide and we are able to connect with people from
● Social media is quick and easy to use and can communicate directly
with coworkers or friends.
● Small businesses can use Facebook to advertise the business.
● Not business oriented, social media is too casual.
● People can access your private information.
● May reduce the amount of face-to-face communication we have with
one another, diminishing on interpersonal communication skills.
Outlook - Email/Chat
● Easy to use, easily accessible through smartphones, laptops, or
computers, and available 24/7
● You stay in the know by linking your social media networks such as
LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and others and get the latest updates
● Has a built-in calendar you can utilize to tap others about
appointments or meetings as well as yourself for reminders.
● Need to be logged on all the time to get notifications
● Not everyone checks their emails or notifications as frequently as
others, so there is a sometimes a delay for replies or responses
● Not everyone has a smartphone or internet connection 24/7 to
I-Learn - Online Collaboration
● Easy to use and navigate (Intuitive Software)
● Instant Messaging available (Group Forum)
● Available 24/7
● High security environment Web Site
● Fast respond from ilearn Support
● Requires be student of SFSU (Intranet website)
● Requires internet access with security password
● No video conferencing
● Sometime slow navigation in the website (depending of how many
people are using the intranet)
● Everyone has a Gmail account, so email will be used as
this group's primary mode of communication.
● Google drive allows for each group member to view
and edit the group’s in-process document.
● Google Presentation is easy to use, easy to edit, and
you can see real time changes made by others.
○ You can also see who is editing the file if more
than one person has it open at the same time.
https://www.facebook.com/, https://twitter.com/, http://instagram.com/