View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Intro to PowerPoint
• PowerPoint is presentation software that allows you
to create slides, handouts, notes, and outlines.
• It can be found on the application menu, under the
Microsoft Office tab.
• Instructions in this presentation will be for
PowerPoint 2003 since that’s what we have at
school. Check out www.woopid.com for 2007
PowerPoint for Beginners
• Typical Beginners have a knowledge of how to
adjust the slide layout, input information, add
slides, add pictures, and add music or sounds.
• Most of the tools found in PowerPoint are
similar to those found in Word. Most
beginners are able to add shapes, lines, word
art, and change text colors just like in Word.
Refresher for Beginners
• Slide Layout – Click on Format, Slide Layout, then
select what type of slide you want to use
• Add a New Slide – Click on Insert, New Slide
• Add Pictures – Click on Insert, Pictures, then
choose clip art or from file. Pictures are also
easily copied and pasted into Power Point.
• Add Music or Sound Effects – Click on Insert,
Movies and Sounds, then choose sound from clip
organizer for clip art sounds or from file.
• Motion Clips – Click on Insert, Movies and
Sounds, movie from clip organizer
Intermediate Power Point Skills
Backgrounds and Slide Designs
• There are multiple ways to do backgrounds in
Power Point. Start by clicking on Format,
• Then a box will come up. From there you can
choose a color, or choose more colors and
select the color you want.
• The box allows you to choose to preview the
background, apply to the selected slide, or
apply to all slides.
• The other choice in the box is fill effects.
• Selecting fill effects gives options to blend
multiple colors and create backgrounds
shaded from different directions
• Also under fill effects, you can select the
textures tab, patterns tab, or picture tab. Each
of these tabs gives more options for adding
• Slide Designs are pre-made
• To use them, click on Format, Slide
Design. Again, a box will open to the
right giving you choices of slide designs.
Be sure to use the drop down box (gray
arrow) to apply to selected slide or apply
to all slides.
• After applying a slide design, double-
check your slide because slide designs
often change text color, text position,
and can hide graphics.
• Slide Transitions allow you to add an effect
when moving from one slide to the next. To
start, Click on Slide Show, Slide Transitions.
• Choose a transition at the top right of the
screen. It will automatically preview your
selection. By clicking on a transition, you have
added it to your slide. The option to apply to
all slides is at the bottom right of the screen.
Once you have selected a slide transition,
then select the timing. On the right side of
the screen, you have the option to choose
on click or automatically after…
On Click will advance the slide show when
the mouse is left clicked, or the spacebar,
right arrow, or enter key is pressed.
Automatically after… allows you to set each
slide to advance after a selected amount of
• Click on Slide Show, Custom Animations
• Click on what you would like to animate, then
click Add Effect on the upper right side of the
• Then choose from Entrance, Emphasis, Exit, or
Motion Path. Entrance effects are those most
commonly used. Entrance effects allow you to
bring words, pictures, and sounds onto the
screen when you want them to. This can
control the audience’s focal point and pacing.
Custom Animation Order
• After you have added several custom animations on one slide,
you will notice that they line up with a number order on the
right. To adjust this order, click and drag each number
animation to the order you want it to appear.
Custom Animation Timing
Similar to the timing features in slide
transitions, it allows you to choose to
advance each animation On Click, With
Previous, or After Previous.
With Previous starts the animation at the
same time as the one before it, while After
Previous starts the animation immediately
following the one before it.
Advanced Power Point Skills
Get music to play throughout slide or
Loop show for continuous play
• Go to Insert, Movies and Sounds, Movie from
• Then select the movie that you have saved in
It should embed the
movie into your slide.
A box will appear and
ask if you want the
movie to play
automatically or when
clicked. I usually select
automatically and then
control the timing with
Once you have your
video into your
PowerPoint you can
adjust the size,
• These videos will not have an embeddable
player so you won’t be able to fast forward,
etc. The movie will stop if you hit the esc key.
• These videos cannot be streamed. If you want
to embed a video from YouTube, etc. you will
need to download it to your file or flash drive
• Adding music or sound effects to a slideshow
can add excitement and creativity.
• Go to Insert, Movies and Sounds, choose
sound from file or sound from clip organizer
(for clip art sound effects). When you select
your music, it will ask if you want it to play
automatically or when clicked just like it did
• I recommend always choosing automatically
How can I get my music to play
throughout the slide or show?
After you insert
the music, go to
your music to
play in the order
you want. Then
right click on the
music in the
and go to Effect
Then use Effect
Options to set up
the start time and
stop time for your
music. The timing
tab will allow you
to delay the start.
settings tab allows
you to check a
box that will hide
the sound icon in
• At Back to School Night, many teachers
set up a PowerPoint to play continuously
while parents mingled during the open
• To do this click on Slide Show, Set Up
Show, and check the box for loop
continuously until esc.
Click here to watch a screencast tutorial on how
to use Action Settings
Click here to watch a screencast tutorial on
how to use Action Buttons
Click here to learn how to save a
PowerPoint slide as a JPEG file for use in
PhotoStory or Moviemaker
Use Slideshare or Scribd to upload your
PowerPoints to get html code. This can be
used to embed slideshows into a website or