2. What is eFront? A new generation, all-in-one learning management system (LMS /LCMS) A tool for creating effective distant online learning communities It can be used as:  A training tool  A communication tool  An evaluation tool  A certification tool  A file management and sharing tool It can be used as an autonomous tool but it can also be combined with:  Traditional education in classroom (blended learning)  Tools for synchronous learning (video-conference and virtual class)
3. What’s inside eFront• An environment to build lessons, to create tests, to organize content and the learning process (LCMS)• The end user learning environment (LMS)• A lot of tools to enrich the communication between users• Tools to assess learner improvement• Advanced administration and system customization tools
4. Basic Functions• Learning Delivery – including content management and assessment utilities• Communication tools – basic communication tools• Reporting – basic reports• Administration – Everything needed to cover the core functions• User interface – same across all edition platforms, making it easy and simple to use.Click here for commercial editions (more functions)
5. eFront is offered as…• Software – The end-user buys the system and installs it on their infrastructure – Fixed cost and yearly updates• Service – The end-user rents a virtual efront server – No need to have his own infrastructure – Automatic system updates and backups – Monthly payments
6. eFront editionsTailored for particular segments of distant learning market,eFront is available in 3 editions. Each edition builds on theprevious in an incremental manner creating solutions withadditional functionality.
7. Core functionality
8. eFront / Community editioneFront Community is the open-source edition of eFront. Itis a fully flexible eLearning 2.0 system capable of fulfillinga wide range of learning needs. eFront Communityprovides the basis of all eFront editions.
9. Community Yes Learning Delivery / SCORM Support Commercial Yes EditionseFront community and community++ are SCORM 1.2compliant and certified platforms. You can importSCORM packages or export the content you created inSCORM format and use it in any other SCORM compliantplatform.
10. Community YesLearning Delivery / Lessons, courses,categories Commercial Yes Editions Course management is done through the administrations interface. It involves the management of lessons, the logical organisation of lessons to categories, the bundling of several lessons as a course and the enrolment of users to lessons and courses.
11. Community Yes Learning Delivery / Content Editor Commercial Yes EditionseFront includes an easy to use WYSISWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) content editor, to add images, videos,sounds, java applets and mathematical types in a visual way.Experienced users can further format content using html.
12. Community YesLearning Delivery / File manager & Digital Library Commercial Yes Editions eFront includes an advanced file manager that allows you to upload, preview, share, zip, rename and delete files. Multiple files can be uploaded in zip format and eFront will unzip them automatically. All files uploaded to the special Digital Library folder are shared and can be downloaded by every lesson user.
13. Community Yes Learning Delivery / Test Builders Commercial Yes EditionseFront has an advanced internal test builder thatsupports several types of tests and a wide range ofquestion types (shown above). All questions are stored toa central pull and can be used in different tests.
14. Community Yes Learning Delivery / Projects Commercial Yes EditionsYou can create projects with deadlines and assign themto users. Users must upload their answer to the project,and the tutor can access it and provide a grade.
15. Community Yes Learning Delivery / Access Rules Commercial Yes EditionsYou can control which lessons each user has access toand the order of lesson completion. This way you canchannel users through specific learning paths.
16. Community Yes Learning Delivery / Progress Tracking Commercial Yes EditionseFront informs and guides users regarding their progressinside a lesson and what remains in order to complete it.
17. Community Yes Learning Delivery / Glossary Commercial Yes EditionsEach lesson has its own glossary section. When a definition isentered into the glossary, the referred word will be highlighted inits original context within the particular lesson, as shown above,indicating the definition entered.
18. Community Yes Communication tools / Basic Tools Commercial Yes EditionseFront includes several communication tools. The listincludes calendar, personal messages, forum, chat andcollaborative content building. The last two are shownabove.
19. Community Yes Reporting / Basic Reports Commercial Yes EditionseFront produces extensive reports on system access,generic system characteristics, users progress and lessoninformation (shown above).
20. Community Yes Administration / User Management Commercial Yes EditionseFront supports three basic types of users: Student, Professor andAdministrator. Users must have a basic role, but they can also havedifferent roles per lesson, allowing a user to be student in one lessonand a professor in another. Except the three basic roles, eFront cancreate descendant roles with fewer permissions, permitting the creationof "guest" users, that cannot send messages to forum or see thelessons content.
21. Community Yes Administration / Technology Commercial Yes EditionseFront uses current web technologies and standards toensure an excellent user-experience. Amongst others wefollow AJAX, LDAP, UNICODE, SCORM, n-tier-architecture,MODULAR extensions, CSS and strict DTD.
22. Community Yes Administration / Multilingual Commercial Yes EditionseFront has full administrative support for adding ormodifying languages. Internally all content and function isunicode (UTF-8) enabled. The only thing needed to add anew language is to translate a language file.
23. Community Yes Administration / the Administrator Commercial Yes EditionsThe administrator can control any aspect of the systemthrough an easy to use interface. New modules supportallow him to extend the functionality of the system.
24. Community Yes Administration / Modular Commercial Yes EditionsModules allows you to extend the basic systemfunctionality as needed. Modules are installed andactivated through the administrator interface.
25. Community Yes Administration / Themes Commercial Yes EditionsExamples from a plethora of themes available. Themes canadjust color, layout and blocks position according to the user’spreferences.
26. Interface / Customization and Community Yes Commercial Usability Editions YeseFront can be adapted according to your needs. E.g. you can re-arrange the main page components via simple drag-and-drop(shown above), you can select the active components for yourlesson, or you can change the visual theme of your installation.
27. Community Yes Interface / Search Commercial Yes EditionsSearch functionality is always available. You caneffectively search inside lesson content, personalmessages or forum messages, to obtain exactly whatyou are looking for.
28. eFront commercial editionsThe commercial editions of eFront build on thefunctionalities of the community edition in anincremental manner, to offer more complete andpowerful solutions for segments of our customers.Educational – Suitable for educational organizationsEnterprise – Encompassing advanced Human CapitalDevelopment functionality.
29. eFront commercial editions / eFront EducationaleFront Educational is a flexible solution, combining thefunctionalities explored below to those offered in theCommunity edition. Tailored for educationalorganizations and colleges, it brings support for the latesteLearning standards together with advanced reportingcapabilities.
30. Learning Delivery / Smart Content Educational Yes Import Enterprise YesCompatible with a variety of file types, eFront makes it easy toconvert existing data directly into the database, e.g. Zip andPDF files can be imported and eFront will transform themdirectly into the working content tree, using folder names asunit names within the lesson.
31. Educational Yes Learning Delivery / Certifications Enterprise Yes Certificates are awarded depending on a predetermined set of objectives being satisfied e.g. the course certificate above was awarded once the user passed all three course lessons in the order of completion, within the deadline date set and with a score above the set threshold.User’s homepage indicating the achievement of a certificate in the course.
32. Educational Yes Communication Tools / Surveys Enterprise YesCreating a survey is made simple and flexible, with many optionsavailable to the creators, e.g. respondents can remain anonymousand there is a wide variety of question types to choose from.Once the survey is published, the invited users will see anotification on their homepage and until when they shouldcomplete it.
33. Educational Yes Communication Tools / Notifications Enterprise YesThis feature allows for customised automated emails to becreated for any event. These can be restricted to certain usersand activated/deactivated, as above in black/red, accordingly.Very easy to manage, an efficient and reliable way to informusers automatically.
34. Educational Yes Ecommerce / Shopping Cart Enterprise YesShows users which courses they have chosen to enrollinto, indicating individual as well as total prices and anydiscounts available, as shown above. The voucher featureallows users to enter a discount voucher code, whichaccordingly will adjust the balance automatically.
35. Ecommerce / Voucher and Discount Educational Yes Support Enterprise YesVouchers and discounts can be entered by administrators, withthe option of setting voucher codes, discount percentages andstart dates. This gives administrators full control over whichusers are eligible for the discounts.
36. Educational Yes Ecommerce / Balance Support Enterprise YesA very user friendly feature, permitting users to prepay anamount towards their future purchases whilst simplifying theassociated administrative process.
37. Social Extensions / Facebook Educational Yes Integration Enterprise YesFacebook integration allows users to login to their eLearningfacility and facebook simultaneously, to view their facebookprofile on their eLearning homepage. Once connection withfacebook has been established, there will be no need to loginseparately, as shown above.
38. Educational Yes Social Extensions / System Timelines Enterprise YesUsers can see their own history of actions whilst yieldingadministrators with an overview of what users are actuallydoing on the learning facility.
39. Educational Yes Social Extensions / Lesson Timelines Enterprise YesEach lesson has its own specific timeline, providingtransparency of everyone’s actions for all parties associatedwith the lesson.
40. Educational Yes Social Extensions / User Wall & Status Enterprise YesUsers with common lessons can write on each other’s walls, inan attempt to effectively utilize tacit knowledge within theorganization. Users can also update their status, to keepanyone connected up to date
41. Educational Yes Reporting / Test Reports Enterprise YesAdministrators and supervisors can check to see how manyusers have completed a specific test, how many times theytried and their average score, allowing instant access to anyuser’s performance.
42. Educational Yes Reporting / Test Reports Enterprise YesTest analysis, a feature of test reporting, allows for a quick andaccurate comparison between all completed test scores,providing supervisors with valuable insights of individualperformances.
43. Educational Yes Administration / Groups Enterprise YesConsolidation of users into groups allows administrators toauto-assign a variety of common content and settings, to allgroup users. A necessary feature for larger organizations,allowing administrators to efficiently, accurately andeffortlessly register new users and manage existing ones.
44. Administration / Extended User Educational Yes Profiles Enterprise YesAdministrators can customize the details required whenusers register, to contain more fields of information,which can be set as mandatory or optional. Above aresome examples of fields that can be added, although thestandard details required from any registering user areset as default.
45. Administration / Auto-update Educational Yes support Enterprise YesWith paid editions, customers are able to auto-update theirversion of eFront, whilst maintaining their database intact, aslong as their license is still valid. Customers can compare theirinstalled version to the latest available, to make sure they areup-to-date.
46. Learning Delivery / SCORM 2004 4th Educational Yes edition Enterprise YesSCORM 2004 4th edition is the latest and most technologically advancedcollection of standards and specifications for web-based eLearning.Based on new standards for API and content object-to-runtimeenvironment communication with many ambiguities of previous versionsresolved, has helped create a more robust test suite which helps ensuregood interoperability. Combines the ability to specify adaptive sequencingof activities that use the content objects while allowing the sharing and useof information for multiple learning objectives or competencies acrosscontent and courses for the same learner within the same LMS.All this gives users a faster and more complete experience and allowsproviders to set more stringent learning paths that users must comply to.eFront is one of the first systems to offer this level of support for SCORM.
47. Educational Yes Learning Delivery / Lesson Capacity Enterprise YesThe administrator is able to set a maximum number of usersper lesson and the access period after registration, ensuringlesson capacity is maintained.
48. Educational Yes Learning Delivery / Linked Lessons Enterprise YesA very useful and ergonomic feature for creating lessons, whichpermits the sharing of specific data between lessons e.g. a videoin one lesson can be used in other lessons. This saves time andspace, as the data is only stored once. As you can see above, sucha link is easily achieved by sharing a folder with existing lessons.
49. Educational Yes Reporting / Time Constraint Reports Enterprise YesThe administrator has access to a plethora of time constraintreports, from users on a course to most active users, instantlyyielding valuable information, which prior to eLearning, wastoo time-consuming to compile.
50. Educational Yes Reporting / Event Reports Enterprise YesAdjustable to a specific user, lesson or course, these reportssummarize all events related to the variable selected e.g.certificates issued for and historical job positions of theselected user, plus many more…
51. Educational Yes Reporting / Group Reports Enterprise YesA report on a group of users, to yield various informationincluding, registration and last login per user, lessons related tothe group, group user traffic and access time.
52. Educational Yes Reporting / Certificate Reports Enterprise YesGenerates a report showing users who obtained a certificate ofa particular course, within a specified time frame, withcertificates about to expire and of a specific certificate key.
53. Educational Yes Reporting / Participation Reports Enterprise YesOffers a high level overview of user’s participation in thevarious eLearning mediums e.g. content viewing, tests,projects, forums. These can be time constrained per user,group, specific lesson or course.
54. Educational Yes Reporting / User reports generator Enterprise YesBuild your own reports through an easy to use user interface,the user reports generator . The generator is based on anumber of conditions and reporting columns.
55. Educational Yes Skill Gap / Tests & Analysis Enterprise YesExamines the capability of users in pursuing a role according topredetermined criteria (reflected in the questions created andchosen, as shown), ensuring that the organization efficientlyallocates its human resources.
56. Educational Yes Skill Gap / Tests & Analysis Enterprise YesInvited users will receive a link on their homepage to access and complete the test. The results will indicate which users are most suitable for the role, thus maximizing productivity. A valuable tool for organizations, which has the potential to take workforce productivity to new levels.
57. Enterprise extension / Certification Educational Yes paths management Enterprise YesCertificates can be further managed to include an expiry datee.g. the above certificate will be valid for twelve months andusers must repeat the course upon certificate expiry. This isparticularly useful with courses covering evolving topics, in anattempt to keep course users as up-to-date as possible.
58. Educational Yes Administration / Archive support Enterprise YesWhen you delete a user, lesson or course, it isautomatically moved to an archive folder in order to avoidloss of valuable data.The administrator then has the option to fully restore orpermanently delete the data and free up storage space,as shown above.
59. Educational Yes Administration / LDAP support Enterprise YesLDAP support and an extensive XML API, provide the means tocommunicate with other systems. In conjunction with otheradministrative features, allows for the creation of a secureenvironment e.g. where you can restrict the IP addresses thathave access to the system.
60. eFront commercial editions / eFront EnterpriseeFront Enterprise combines the functionalities exploredbelow to those offered in the Educational edition.Tailored with larger organizations and companies inmind, it offers solutions for the management of theirmost valued asset – their employees. Based on acoherent approach to human capital management whichkeeps the workforce actively engaged, the eFrontEnterprise platform offers the means of aligning learningprograms with business goals to cultivate employee skillsand knowledge associated with business performance.
61. Enterprise Suite / Track job Educational No Enterprise Yes placementsAllows for job specific searches and/or in conjunction withbranch location i.e. specific job roles in specific branchlocations. It also allows for skill specific searches or a search ofemployees within a specific job role across all branches.
62. Enterprise Suite / Branch Educational No Enterprise Yes managementProvides a quick overview of all branches, their location details,number of employees at each branch and where each branchreports to. By selecting a particular branch, further informationsuch as employee details and job positions can be viewed, thusyielding conclusive information in an effective manner.
63. Educational No Enterprise / Branch Theme and Url Enterprise YesYou can define a different theme and access url for each one ofyour branches. Users will see a different interface as well asdifferent course catalog according to their branch.
64. Educational No Enterprise Suite / Branch Reports Enterprise YesShows users within a particular branch, indicating last login andjobs assigned, lessons enrolled in and total access time peruser, similar to group reports.
65. Enterprise Suite / Branch Supervisor Educational No Role Enterprise YesSupervisors are considered as the administrators of theirbranch, with privileged access to features and control of users,within that branch. Branch supervisors have access to thecategories shown above, and each category has numerousoptions e.g. add/delete users, assign users to job roles orcourses, add/delete job positions, create groups of users, plusmany more. Branch Supervisors are able to access theseoptions from their homepage via an organization link.
66. Educational No Enterprise Suite / Skills management Enterprise YesSkills are easily created and categorised, and assigned to usersonce they have fulfilled certain criteria, e.g. pass a specific testassociated with a skill, or can be assigned by the administratordirectly if a user already possesses the skill.
67. Enterprise / Competency Educational No management Enterprise YesThis allows for a search of various skills, simultaneouslyrequired to perform certain tasks e.g the three skills searchedabove matched only two user’s skill-sets and thus theircompetency in performing desired task.
68. Educational No Enterprise / Employee transcripts Enterprise YesAn example of an employee transcript showing evaluationremarks by supervisors on their performance andachievements.
69. Educational No Enterprise / Employee transcripts Enterprise YesAn example of an employee transcript showing overall andindividual test scores (and date test was taken) plus lessons andcourses the user has already completed.
70. Educational No Enterprise Suite / Managing users Enterprise YesUsers can be managed by branch or job position, asshown above, but also by location and department.
71. Enterprise / Assign courses base on Educational No job role Enterprise YesThis ensures users are automatically enrolled into courses andlessons depending on their job role e.g. Business DevelopmentManagers will automatically be enrolled into the coursesshown above.
72. Educational No Enterprise Suite / Skill based search Enterprise YesAllows for skill based searches across the whole organization, aparticular branch or within a specific job position i.e. in theabove example, 3 people within the whole organization havethe experience in managing people skill.