Preventive Measure AgainstOverfatigue By: Wan Izzatie Wan Abdul Aziz G. 34
Defenition• Overfatigue is: ▫ long/irreversible reduction of work capability resulting from fatigue accumulated in human body under the influence of poor working condition
Symptoms• weakness• lack of energy• constantly tired or exhausted• lack of motivation• difficulty concentrating• difficulty starting and completing tasks• loss of consciousness (syncope),• near-syncope• rapid heartbeat (palpitations)• dizziness or vertigo
Prevention• Work Rhythm ▫ Know your work rhythm well ▫ Are you the kind of person who likes something steady or predictable? ▫ Or do prefer seasonal work, where you’re very busy for a while and then have lots of holiday time following?
• Rational rest ▫ Have enough rest after working hour ▫ Sleep well on a comfortable bed
• Work regime ▫ develop a working-hours policy on daily work hours, maximum average weekly hours, total hours over a three-month period and work-related travel ▫ eliminate or reduce the need to work extended hours or overtime
▫ design working hours to allow for good quality sleep and enough recovery time▫ eliminate or reduce the need to work long shifts for more than three consecutive days▫ schedule work for hours when the risks may be lower – for example, complex and safety-critical tasks are best undertaken during normal day shifts when workers are less likely to be fatigued.
• Organization of workplace, orgonomics ▫ avoid working during periods of extreme temperature ▫ install heating devices in cold work environments ▫ install cooling devices and/or provide access to cooled areas in hot work environments ▫ provide shelter in hot work environments
▫ install ventilation and mechanical cooling devices in hot, confined work environments such as truck cabins▫ provide adequate facilities for rest, sleep, meal breaks, onsite accommodation (if appropriate) and other essential requirements, such as bathroom facilities▫ install adjustable, vibration-free seats in appropriate machinery and vehicles▫ ensure the workplace and surroundings are well lit, safe and secure.
• Functional music ▫ Listen to something that can sooth your feeling ▫ Listen to calm music ▫ Music does affect our mood
• Aestheticism of working environment ▫ Comfortable chair, desk ▫ Good lighting ▫ Good colour ▫ Plants