Donec Formetur Christus in Vobis An Overview James Alberione Founder of the Pauline Family
- Canon Chiesa’s three books in 1927 (Way, Truth, Life) • Gesu Cristo Re (Mind, Heart, Will) “Pius XI: Quas Primas” • Gesu Maestro (Example, Enlighten, Sanctify ) • Ego Sum Vita (Our Life, Christ’s Life, Live the life of Christ) - A proposal for a way of life - for the Pauline Family - A Booklet - Measuring 16 x 10 cm., with 110 pages. - Published by Fr. Giacomo Alberione - In 1932
- Genesis of the title - (Donec Formetur Christus in Vobis: Gal 4:19) - Canon Chiesa repeatedly points to Gal. 4:19: - The occupation of the entire spiritual life
- Not a book written for discursive reading with a systematic exposition - Not a collection of outlines or disconnected summary notes - A Classical Work
- 1925: Encyclical Quas Primas of Pius XI on the Feast of Christ the King - 11 Oct 1927 to 23 May 1928: Meditations given to adult members of the casa - Ignatian Spiritual Exercises prolonged in day-to-day life - 1929: Encyclical Divini illius Magistry of Pius XI on Christian Education - 1930’s - up: The continuous expansion of the Pauline Family - In the number of persons, in the foundation of new houses - Thus the indispensability of a “ratio formatonis”
- Preamble - Way of Purification - Way of Illumination - Way of Union - Means of Grace - Press Apostolate - Useful Notions
- (The life lived by Fr. Alberione and the First Generation Paulines) • Two Parts: The Time of Alliance The Book of Holiness • The Time of Alliance (The Beginning of the Pauline Family) - The Founder’s personal journey and the journey of the Pauline Family • The Founder’s personal journey - The Abundantes Divitiae Gratiae Suae
- Giacomo Alberione was born on April 4, 1884 - He was born in San Lorenzo de Fossano - Grew in the rural environment in the small city of Cherasco - His Parents: Teresa Alloco his Mother and Michele Alberione his Father - His elementary school teacher Rosa Cardona - In the environment of the Parish of San Martino - Before going to school he used to stop with the Madonnina Sanctuary - The Rector, Fr. Francesco Maria Faber entertained them with explanations
- First and Second elementary: Rosa Cardona: “I want to be a priest” - Third Grade: Tommaso Rabbia: Giacomo was first in his class - Fourth Grade: Giuseppe Riado: Giacomo got the highest grades - First Year High School: Used to take lunch at the convent of his pastor - The Pastor being Fr. Giovanni Battista Montersino - During these meetings along with his teachers: He learned to love books and became fascinated with music, literature, history and philosophy - It is from this small circle of persons and the Church as his natural environment that the spiritual and cultural itenerary of the future apostle began
- In the Seminary of Bra - In the Seminary of Alba - The night of passage between the two centuries - Toniolo’s message - His mind and heart became so fixed on the Eucharist, the Gospel, the Pope, the new century, the new means, on the need for a new band of apostles... - He had a clear grasp of his own nothingness - The conviction of being loved by the Lord brought Alberione to correspond by wholly giving himself for his development in view of his mission. - The need to develop the whole personality: mind, will, heart
- The inscription in the tomb of his friend Borello (1904) - Leo XII ‘s Encyclical Temetsi Fotura, Il Redentore, the Letter to the Romans - A change of course similar to the conversion of St. Paul - 1954: Holy Persons that gave him orientation: Can. Dannuso, Can. Chiesa, Msgr. Re, Can Priero - 1906: First attemp to publish; Blessed Virgin of Graces
- The new chapel of the seminary: a perfect synthesis of Alberione’s formation - Everything begins in the Trinity: - The Son of Man - The Spirit – Mary - The Eucharist - The Gospels (A-L-B-A) - via cruxis - The Saints - Seminary Patrons: Mother of Good Counsel, St. Charles Borromeo, Francis de Sales, Philip Neri, Alphonsus de Liguori and Thomas Aquianas, Aloysius Gonzaga, Stanislaus Kostka and John Berchmans.
- Two providential priests towards his future ministry: - Fr. Giovanni Battista Montersino - Canon Francisco Chiesa - 29 June 1907: The moment of his priestly ordination - His image of a priest: I-God—People
- Assistant Pastor of San Bernardo Abate in Narzole - Spiritual Director of the Seminary in Alba - As a Librarian - Master of Ceremonies and Sacristan of the Seminary - Master of Ceremonies of the Bishop - His cooperation in social organizations and works - His contacts with Catholic Action People: Card. Maffi, Prof. Toniolo ... - His special vocation which he did not abandoned - 1910: He took a definitive step, the writers, technical personnel and promoters would be religious men and women
<ul><li>- Sources: </li></ul><ul><li>The three Notebooks </li></ul><ul><li>and the Quoderno di Indice </li></ul><ul><li>- 1908 – 1914: </li></ul><ul><li>Meditations in the Seminary of Alba </li></ul><ul><li>- The indispensable condition </li></ul><ul><li>to become a spiritual father </li></ul><ul><li>is for one to become spiritual himself </li></ul><ul><li>- Two teachings on the need </li></ul><ul><li>and manner of making meditation: </li></ul><ul><li>Relationship with God </li></ul><ul><li>(faith-hope-charity) </li></ul><ul><li>Development of one’s personality </li></ul><ul><li>(reason-will-heart) </li></ul>
- Exercises of Saint Ignatius, Francis de Sales, St. Alphonsus ... - 1909 - 1918: Annual retreats during summer vacations - 1911 - 1912: A cycle of mediation on the apsotle’s Creed - Two great teachers: Cornelius Krieg and Swoboda - Krieg’s teaching on unified knowledge - Krieg’s teaching on the three methods on moral theology - Speculative, Mystical, Practical
- The style of God’s action and the manner of responding to such action - God’s ordinary method: Fortiter et Suaviver (mightily and swiftly) - “to let oneself be guided” — between nature and grace - Signs that the time is ripe for the foundation - 1913: The study of History in Philosophy, the study of Church History - 1918: Began looking for young boys and girls: Invited Giuseppe Giacardo - The contribution of his being a Spiritual Director of the Seminary
- Directorship and ownership of Gazzetta d’ Alba - The publication of La Civilta Cattolica: Analyzed the great power of the press - 24 January 1914: Giovanni Borna’s il Re dei tempi, Mano all Stampa - What is to be found: - Something that have the social strength of the press - Something like a Catholic University - Something that would train men and women apostles to the needs of the time
- 20 August 1914 : “Scuola Tipografica Piccolo Operaio” - Small Workers Printing School : “Pia Societa San Paolo - Pious Society of Saint Paul - Formation: Fr. Alberione - Administration and Professional Training: Giovanni Battista Bernocco - First Publications: Piccolo Catechismo by Pius X Woman Associated with Priestly Zeal The Parishioner’s Prayer Book - 15 June 1915: Started the Workshop for Women
- First sub-division: Branch of Men-Religious - First Order Branch of Women-Religious - Second Order Branch for the Lay; Men-Women - Third Order - 8 December 1917: The first Consecration through Private Vows - Serious Problems: War, Hunger, Pestilence - 12 March 1918: Sermon about the Alliance or of the Pact with God - 29 September 1918: Approval of the Statutes of the Union of Cooperators - First Publication of Unione Cooperatori Buona Stampa (UCBS) - Death of Maggiorino Vigolungo and Clelia Calliano
- St. Paul: The Universal Apostle - Ketteler: “ If St. Paul were born now, he would be a journalist.” - Foundations in Susa for Women - New Linotypes - Christmas Night of 1918: Fire at the printing press - 6 January 1919: First Recitation of the Formula of the Pact - Inspired after Mt 6:33 “ Seek first the Kingdom of God” - The search for holiness in the total self-giving of the apostolate - Holiness takes the first preoccupation
- 30 June 1919: First Renewal of Vows - One hour adoration - Devotions during first week of the month - May 1919 in Giaccardo’s Diary: The need to form the Family “ Pauline Family” - Giaccardo: 22 June 1919–Minor Orders; 29 June1919–Subdeaconate 20 September 1919–Deaconate; 19 October 1919–Priesthood
- 1920: The Year of Consolidation - Leaves his commitment in the Seminary - The Directorship of Gazzetta de Alba was entrusted to Fr. Giaccardo - Writes and explain to the Bishop the meaning of the Printing School - June 1920: Started the building of the new house - April 1921: Installation of the press bought in Sesto San Giovanni - Threats to Alberione and the Printing Press - In the Diocese, The Fascists and the Socialists - Aggression against Giaccardo as director of Gazzetta d’ Alba by Fascists
- Face with dangers and his unstable health “ being imprudent: summoning people to mission with the grave danger of abandoning them. - 1921-1923: Recalled only in 1938: “ The Dream” “ Do not be afraid, I am with you; from here I want to enlighten; only maintain yourselves in humility... and, it seems to me, be sorry for sins.”
- 5 October 1921: At the Blessing of the New House, Two Moving Ceremonies: - The First ever Constitution of the Society of St. Paul was held - The First ever Perpetual Profession in the Society of St. Paul “ 14 Older Members bind themselves to the Evangelical Vows - 22 July 1922: - The First ever Perpetual Profession in the Daughters of St. Paul - The First ever Superior General Teresa “Thecla” Merlo
<ul><li>by December of 1922: </li></ul><ul><li>- Another portion of the house </li></ul><ul><li> was built to accommodate 236 persons </li></ul><ul><li>- Parish Bulletins have grown to hundreds </li></ul><ul><li>- The Gazzetta d’ Alba has grown </li></ul><ul><li> in Circulation 350,000 copies </li></ul><ul><li>- The collection of Beneficial Readings </li></ul><ul><li> has reached 30 volumes </li></ul><ul><li>- The collection of Ascetical Books </li></ul><ul><li> has reached a dozen </li></ul><ul><li>- More than half a million catechism booklets </li></ul><ul><li> to every part of Italy </li></ul><ul><li>- The capability of the printing press </li></ul><ul><li> of producing a 300-pages book everyday </li></ul><ul><li>- An average of 2000 books sold everyday </li></ul><ul><li> in the bookstore </li></ul>
- Preamble - Bears the framework wherein one can undertake the journey - Way of Purification - Being Human before God, to be in perfect attunement before God - Way of Illumination - Before Christ: “Am I Saved?” -The Mysteries of the Life of Christ - Way of Union - On the Holy Spirit, The Church, and the Theological Virtues - Life in Christ and in the Church - Useful Notions - The works of the Holy Spirit
“ The Donec Formetur can be considered, therefore, as the book that encloses in itself many other books, with the purpose of achieving a single end: to interpret that inexhaustible document which is the life lived by Fr. Alberione and by the first generations of Paulines, totally dedicated to correspond to the call to holiness. Because of this, it cannot be read simply as collection of bare notes, but has to be considered, just as it is rightly so, the Book of Pauline Holiness.
Donec Formetur Our Founder Our Father Path to Holiness Bl. Alberione St. Paul Way of Purification -being human before God Way of Illumination -The Life of Christ -Before Christ: “Am I Saved?” Way of Union -Life in Christ -Life in the Church My Story -My humiliating Story God’s Story -God’s Mercy -Light from the Host -The Dream God is the Light -A half blind man -Being led / enlightened -to proceed further Kenosis -It is when I am weak -That I am Strong Conversion -Falling to the ground -A great light / Heard a voice -Experience of Christ Way of Union -I live now not I -Christ living in me To Be Saint Paul Alive Today
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.