• In 1982, Dietrich Mateschitz became aware of products called "tonic
drinks", which enjoyed widespread popularity throughout the Far East.
• In 1984, Mateschitz founded Red Bull. He fine-tuned the product,
developed a unique marketing concept and started selling Red Bull Energy
Drink on the Austrian market in 1987.
• However , such energy drinks was first-time invented in Thailand.
• Today Red Bull has become the worlds leading energy drink, selling more
than 4.6 billion cans in 2011.
Marketing Mix: Product
• Red Bull is a sweet,
caffeinated drink aimed
to give consumers the
high energy kick.
Available only in rather
expensive 250ml cans,
350ml bottles, with 4
packs and only two
flavours (original or
sugar-free). It contains
caffeine, taurine, and B
Marketing Mix: Promotion
• Strategy called word-of-mouth or “BuzzMarketing”
• “We do not take product to customer. We take
customer to the product” Mr. Dietrich
• Promotion job for youth
• Promotion through lifestyle
Marketing Mix: Price
• Price of RedBull is premium price all over the
• Highest in the market.
• Varies from 2 to 4 dollars per can.
Marketing Mix: Place
• RedBull are using tactic not to have official
shops of their production. Instead of that,
company are cooperating with local markets
and exporting production by minimalizing
sales cost to a minimum.
Segmentation / Target Market
• Age criteria:
The Fan of Extreme sports
Target Market: 16-25
This group includes all the current students, especially during the
examination time, who are staying late to study and need additional energy
to finish their tasks.
The Fan of Extreme
This group consist not of actual athletes, but of those, who are extremely
into this kind of sport, including motorsport, skiing, windsurfing and all other
areas, which are promoted by “Redbull“ brand. They do not miss any
competition and for them drinking energy drink is like alternative of being in
the real action.
This group includes young and active urban youth, who spend most of their
leisure in variety of clubs, therefore they need plenty of energy to party all
night long. What is more, there was discovered, that “Redbull“ goes
perfectly with alcohol in a lot of cocktails.
This group includes all the new entrants in the business who have a lot of
potential as well as are hardworking persons, and need some additional
energy while staying late after working hours
Market Share / Competitors
Direct and indirect competitors
Lack of patent
Only one item
Red Bull brand
Above – average price
Extension of product line
Can be stolen