In Unit 4, you learn how to……
• Use let, make, help, get, want, ask, and tell to talk about
rules and discipline.
• Use used to and would to talk about memories.
• Talk about family, relatives, and childhood.
• Give opinions with expressions like It seems like and If
you ask me.
• Use the expressions like definitely, absolutely, etc., to
FAMILY.- Kids gripe about their parents
LOVE.- Parents gripe about their kids.
WORK.- Spouses gripe about each others
Verbs let, make, help, have, get, want, ask, tell
For let, make, help, have + object + verb
My parents won’t let me stay put late.
They make me come home before 11:00.
My kids never help me clean the house
For get, want, ask, tell + object + to + verb
I can’t get them to clean up their rooms
My parents want me to study law
I have to ask them to drive me everywhere
Complete the sentences with verb
1. When I was a kid my parents let me ……. To
school by myselft .
2. My parents made me …….. To bed at 8:00.
3. My brother couldn’t get me ….. Any vegetables.
4. My sister never lets me ……….. Her computer.
5. I always have my husband ………. breakfast on
In conversation you cant also say, for example, help me to do
something, but this is much less common.
Help + to + verb
Brother - in - law
Sister - in - law
Ruler.- Use used to for regular activities or situation in the
past that don’t happen now or are no longer true.
I used to go over my sister’s house a lot
My grandfather used to keep candy in their pockets
The five of us used to play on a team
Negatives and questions with used to are less common
I didn’t use to like jazz
What kind of musick did you use to like?
Ruler.- Use would to for regular activities or situation in
I’d play my niece and nephew
She’d always give use some
We would always win
Don’t use would for situations in the past
My sister used to live next door
(NOT My sister would live next door)
People often being a story with used to and
continue with would
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.