1. Using the Future Form of Verbs
I. Learning Objectives
• Use the future form of verbs.
II. Subject Matters
A. Topic: Using the Future Form of Verbs
B. References: PELC II 9
New Dynamic Series in English pp.203-204
C. Materials: Horoscope and song – Que Sera Sera, charts
A. Preparatory Activities
Ask: Being a grade IV pupils, do you already have some plans of
what you want to be in the future? What would you like to be
in the future?
Say: Today, you will listen to a song about a little girl’s dream. Let’s
find out about it.
B. Developmental Activities
• Listen to the song then answer the questions that follow.
Song: “Que Sera Sera”
Que Sera Sera
When I was a little girl
I asked my mother what will I be
Will I be pretty? Will I be great?
This is what she said to me.
Que sera, sera
What ever will be, will be
The future’s not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be
Value Focus: Aiming high
2. 1. Discussion and Analysis
• Comprehension Questions
1. Who was talking n the story?
2. What did she ask from her mother?.
3. What were her Mother’s answers to her questions?
4. What would you like to be in the near future?
• Values Integration
5. What will you do in order to attain your dream in the future?
• Let’s read and analyze the following sentences
1. I will study hard to become a doctor someday.
2. I shall serve my country when I grow up.
3. I am going to buy a car in the coming years.
• Ask: a. What are the verbs used in each sentence?
b. What kind of action does each verb express?
c. What comes before the base form of verbs?
d. How do we form the verb in the future tense?
e. What are the time markers used in the sentences?
• When do we use the future tense? (We use the future tense to
tell the action that will be done in the future.)
• How do we know that they are action to be done in the future?
(The words will, shall, and going to are attached or paired with
the base form of the verb.
Time markers like next week, soon, when I grow up are also
used to indicate future time.)
C. Post Activity
Group the children by five’s and let them sit together to share their
plans for the future.
Ask: When you grow up and you have your jobs, how will you help
A leader is chosen to report the results of their discussion.
3. Enrichment Activity
1. Do you read horoscope predictions? Like predictions by fortune
tellers horoscopes are not always true. Only God knows our future.
This activity is just taken for our lesson on verbs.
Directions: Supply the missing future tense form of the verbs in the
following horoscope readings.
Virgo (Aug. 25-Spet. 22): Today is your lucky day. You (meet)
________ a friend. She (offer) ________ you job opportunities.
(will meet, will offer)
Libra (Sept. 23-Oct. 22): Someone (try) ________ to convince you
to join a beauty contest. She (promise) ________ lots of money in
return. Do not be deceived. (is going, will promise)
Scorpio (Oct. 23-Nov. 21): There (be) ________ a surprise for
you. But you have to show confidence. Things (turn) ________ out
well if you keep your composure. (will be, will turn)
Sagittarius (Nov. 22-Dec. 21): Some friends (ask) ________ you
for advice. This (be) ________ the start of a good relationship with
them. They (invite) ________ you to play. You (have) ________ a
nice day. (will ask, will be, will invite, will have)
Complete the following sentences by using the future tense of the verb
before each number.
witness 1. You ________ the progress of the country in the near
enjoy 2. Everyone ________ a peaceful and abundant life.
raise 3. Farmers ________ better crops by using natural fertilizers.
use 4. People ________ better transport facilities in the year to
live 5. You ________ a beautiful life.
Formulate sentences using the verbs in the future tense.