1. 9 Frame Analysis Of AnOpening SequenceGenre Horror1408https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1BpMahYxs
2. This image is from the beginning of the film, a long shot shows a car is driving onthe freeway in the rainstorm at night. The darkness beyond the car and the hardrain built the intense atmosphere to the audience, the trees and bushes around thesideways suggest the location is in the boondocks, And the small house in thesideway provides the mysterious feeling as well.
3. A medium close up shot shows the intense facial expression of the maincharacter to the audience, his facial expression suggested that his inner world isquite struggling about what is he going to do afterwards, and the raindropsacross the front window of the car built the mysterious and tight atmosphere tothe audience, also the torch in his hand suggests he is checking something infront of the car.
4. A point of view shot shows the car is driving into a old manor, from the lowkey lighting the audience could aware the atmosphere is quite dark in thisscenario, and the props in that manor which includes the trees, the lights andalso the gate all provides the audience a minor feeling, and the gate’s shape islike a mouth, symbolized the car is driving into danger.
5. An Establishing shot shows the main character is crossing a bridge, the lowlighting with dull colour setting all provides the audience a quite nervousatmosphere, the darkness around the bridge and trees symbolized unknownand danger, and the main character walking across the bridge seems like he ison a island, and the rain brings the uncomfortable feeling to the audience aswell.
6. A long shot shows that an old house appears into the audience’sview, again the director has used the low key lighting here to create theintense atmosphere. The trees and bushes around here symbolizedmysterious and dangerous. And also the colour using in this scene ispretty dull, which provides the dangerous atmosphere to the audience.
7. A point of view shot shows the handout that been given to the maincharacter, from his view the audience could aware that there is a humanshape thing hang out around the window which built the horroratmosphere and the stereotype of horror (Ghost, etc.). And alsosuggests what will happen afterwards in the film to the audience.
8. From this shot reverse shot, the audience could aware that the main character’sfacial expression seems quite nervous and serious, suggests he is veryconcentrate at the moment. And from the background, the audience couldaware the flower shapes around the wall, shows the house’s style is pretty backin time and elegant, also built the atmosphere of horror due to horror film’ssetting always in a old house like that.
9. A low angle shot shows the rooftop of the old house to the audience, the low keylighting and the dull colour built the depressed atmosphere, and those bars aroundthe stairs and rooftop symbolized the prison and trapped, which makes the audiencestarted to worried out the main character, also the strange light behind the rooftopsuggests the mysterious and dangerous feelings to the audience.
10. Afterwards, the camera cuts to the actual room that the main character check-in. This medium long shot shows the props within that room, the old fashionfurniture and old carpet suggests the long history beyond the house, and lowkey lighting with dull colour (especially the orange coloured wall links withblood), and the strange bed suggests the dangerous and mysterious feeling aswell, which created the tense atmosphere successfully to the audience.