• Amplify sound so the whole class can hear.
• Plugs into AC outlet and green color-coded
• Request speakers from your computer lab
• Just make sure you turn them on! ; )
• Let students listen independently.
• Plug into green headphone port on
• Get headphones from computer lab TA
• Digitally records to computer
• Plug into pink microphone port on computer
• Need sound recording software, but it
comes with most computers
• Unidirectional mics are for soloists,
dynamic mics are for groups
• Available in most electronics stores
• Lets the whole class see what is on the computer
• Sometimes comes on a cart with its own
• Cable plugs into dark blue port with two screws
on back of computer.
• Projector also plugs into AC outlet.
• Use a blue network cable to view internet sites.
• Borrow LCD projector from A/V dept.
• Lets students explore different styles and sounds.
• Lets you or a student input music to a computer program.
• Keyboards can be used for performance. They are
connected by a MIDI interface cable (purchased
separately) to the USB port.
• MIDI controllers can only be used with a computer. Most
come with a USB cable.
• Keyboards can be purchased just about anywhere.
Controllers can be found online and in supply catalogs.
• Lets you or a student move or select items
on the screen by touching them.
• Plugs into AC outlet. Communicates
wirelessly or by cable with a computer that
has Smartboard software. Also need LCD
• Has to be oriented before you use it.
• Borrow a Smartboard from your A/V dept.
• Computer-assisted instruction (CAI)
• Single use
• Lab pack
• Site/network license
• Building computer lab TA
• friendly and knowledgeable colleague
• Footprints (Kingston)
III. Internet Resources
• search engines
• interactive websites
More Internet Resources
• MIDI files
• free or cheap music!
Free or Cheap Music
• Internet Public Library
• Band Music PDF Library
• Musica Viva
IV. File Storage
• On your computer
• On the network
• student work
• teacher files
• Flash drive
• SD memory
V. Your Challenge
• Assemble a MIDI system
• Set up an LCD projector and Smartboard
• Try different types of software
• Create a lesson plan to use next week!
Thank you for coming to
getting started with music
M. Clifford Miller Middle School
Lake Katrine, NY 12449