1. Successful Social Media Strategy
by Adriana Llames Kogelis, Fortune 100 Digital Media Marketing Executive
WHY: Understanding the Impact of Social Media Today
WHAT: Social Media Landscape Overview
HOW: Breaking Down the Landscape
The Big 5
The Social Media Trilogy
WHAT: 4D Social Media Methodology & Defining Your Social Media Map
HOW: Social Media KPI’s & Technology
Questions + Answers
Intro | adriana llames kogelis
5. (SO-SHUL) ME-DIA (MA-PING)
Social media strategy begins with mapping. Social
media mapping is an intensive research and
analysis exercise which involves a thorough
search of the web to identify the groups,
communities and people active on the social web
relating to your sphere of interest and influence.
6. The Social Web: Defined
Who’s out there?
Are they influential?
Who do I avoid?
Where do I find them?
Why should I engage?
7. Shifting of the Media Landscape
If Facebook were a nation, it would be the 3rd
largest on earth.
Twitter has 1.73x more users than Brazil has residents. #socialstats
29.4% of the Latin American population uses social networks. The most active are Argentina
(37.7%) and Brazil (31.1%) residents.
8. 25% of World Population use Social Networks
2.55 Billion = Size of global social network audience in 2017
Out of the countries included in the worldwide growth forecast,
eMarketer expects the fastest increases to come from the social
network user populations of India, Indonesia, Mexico, China and Brazil
9. Social Media Trilogy + The Big 5
(founded by Jack Dorsey’s hand drawing in ’06)
• 540MM twitter accounts
• 1.6 Billion search queries per day
• 340MM tweets per day
• 1MM accounts added per day
(founded by Mark Zuckerberg at Harvard in ‘04)
• 1.1 Billion active users
• 170MM monthly unique U.S. visitors
• 50+% access via mobile phone
(founded in ‘05 by former PayPal employees)
• 1 Billion unique visitors each month
• 700 videos shared every minute on Twitter
• 1 Million videos shared per day + 4 Billion videos viewed per day
• 600 Million video views per day on mobile
• 60 hours of video uploaded every minute*
(founded in Reid Hoffman’s living room in ’02)
• 161MM members | 200 countries
• 4.2 Billion professional searches (2011)
• 61% Global, 39% U.S.
• 82 of Fortune 100 companies use it; 100% of F500 Execs
(founded by Ben Silberman. Launched 3/10)
most popular network (Facebook + Twitter)
• 19MM unique visitors
• 60-80% female user base
• One of the fastest growing social networks to date
*more video uploaded to YouTube in one month than the 3 major US networks created in 60 years
4 Questions For Developing Social Strategy
Start with your audience | Create goals | Develop the strategy | Align KPIs
• Why are you using social media?
(customer engagement, brand recognition, expertise)
• Who are you targeting?
(keep your eye on the prize)
• Where are you posting (which networks)?
(choose key networks + commit to them)
• What are you trying to say?
(content rules social. articles, videos, pictures)
Twitter | Blogs | Facebook | YouTube | Pinterest | LinkedIn
4D social media methodology
Ready, set , deploy!
Launch your social
media program and
measure it for
Analyze your social
against the defined
KPI’s for success.
Refine as needed.
Clear Defined KPIs = Social Media Success
Define the organization’s goals for Social Media
Align a specific, measurable KPI to each goal
Build a social media strategy aligned to the KPI
Measure social media program success and ROI against KPIs
Mix, Stir and Succeed!
K (Key) P (Performance) I (Indicator)
KPI’s allow organizations to define and reach their goals
Social media KPI’s Drive ROI
Goal: Improve Social Awareness and Consideration
KPI: Increase fan base by 20% within the next 12 months
KPI: Increase overall engagement rate by 5% within next quarter
Goal: Leverage Social Media to Improve Customer Experience
KPI: Decrease negative customer sentiment by 3% each quarter
KPI: Increase positive customer sentiment by 2% each quarter
Goal: Drive eCommerce site business via social networks
KPI: 30% of social posts to include links related to commerce/sales
KPI: Achieve X% visit to site ratio (ex: 0.5% traffic from Facebook to website)
KPI’s to Social Media Action: #MakeItHappen
•SRP (Social Response Platforms)
•SMMS (Social Media Monitoring Systems)
•Measurement (Omniture, Kenshoo, Adobe)
Commitment is Key
•Strategy – one strategy for min. 180 days
•Customers – it’s a 2-way relationship, listen to them and they’ll lead you
•Content – content rules, allow it to speak for your brand
•Stop dating and pick a network to settle down with already!
•Unlike marriage, you get to choose more than 1 but keep it to 3 max.
•In Latin America, the Top 2 networks are…..Facebook and YouTube
Leveraging Social Media Technology
Making The Commitment
• Visualize Your Corporate Brand
• Frame your social landscape from your corporate brand
• Be authentic, advocate your brand passion
• Focus on content vs. sales pitches
• Identify the techlebrities in your category
(i.e. Brit Morin, 2.5M subscribers – women’s lifestyle products)