2. Students should be able to Discuss the importance of ﬂow, and identify the three subﬁelds of industrial-organizational psychology. Describe how personnel psychologists help organizations with employee selection, work placement, and performance appraisal. Deﬁne achievement motivation, and explain why organizations would employ an I/O psychologist to help motivate employees and foster employee satisfaction. Describe some effective management techniques.
3. Have you ever been soinvolved in something that you lost track of time? What were you doing?
5. Nine Characteristics of Flow Challenge-skill Concentration balance Sense of control Action-awareness Loss of self- merging consciousness Clear goals Transformation of time Unambiguous Autotelic experience feedback
6. Industrial-Organization Psychologythe study of behavior in work settings.1. Personnel Psychology Selecting & Placing employees; Training & developing employees; Appraising performance2. Organizational Psychology Developing organizations; Enhancing quality of worklife3. Human Factors Psychology
7. Human Needs in theWorkplace
8. Achievement MotivationThe keys to achievement are drive and self-discipline,more than natural ability and raw talent. Angela Duckworth and Martin Seligman
9. Task Engagementthe extent to which an individual demonstratesinvolvement, satisfaction, and enthusiasm in the task athand In the workplace, workers are either: Engaged Not-engaged Actively disengaged Those who are engaged or associated with those who are engaged perform markedly better
10. Keys to Managing Well1. Harness job-relevant skills2. Set speciﬁc, challenging goals3. Choose an appropriate leadership style – Task leadership sets standards, organizes work, and focuses attention on goals – Social leadership builds teamwork, mediates conﬂict, and offers support – Transformational leadership articulates high standards, inspire people to share their vision, and offer personal attention