OutcomesBy the end of the lesson, students should be ableto – Describe the nature of intelligence – Discuss whether intelligence should be considered a general mental ability or many speciﬁc abilities – Identify the factors associated with creativity, and describe the relationship between creativity and intelligence – Describe efforts to correlate intelligence with brain anatomy, brain functioning , and cognitive processing speed.
List the attributes of an intelligent person that you know:
List the attributes of an unintelligent person that you know:
12 Findings about intelligence:
1. Intelligence is associated with some simple abilities2. School attendance correlates with intelligence
3. Intelligence does not correlate with birth order4. Intelligence is related to breast feeding
5. IQ varies by birth date6. IQ evens out with age
7. Intelligence is plural, not singular8. IQ is corrolated with head size
9. Intelligence scores are predictive of real- world outcomes10.Intelligence depends on context
11.The average IQ is increasing12.IQ may be inﬂuenced by diet
Charles Spearman advocated the idea of one,single general intelligence, or g. • He pointed out that even though individuals make have special talents, if an individual has one high ability, they tend to be high in others.
Howard Gardner argues that there are multipleintelligences including • Linguistic • Logical-mathematical • Musical • Bodily-kinesthetic • Spatial • Interpersonal • Intrapersonal • Naturalist
Robert Sternberg argues that these multiple-intelligences can be boiled down to three generalcomponents of “successful intelligence”: • Analytical problem-solving • Creative intelligence • Practical intelligence
• In addition to academic intelligences, Peter Salovey and John Mayer point to the importance of emotional intelligence: • the ability to perceive, express, understand, and regulate emotions.• Individuals with high EQ often succeed in careers, marriages, and parenting where academically smarter people fail.
Intelligence & Creativity
List the attributes of a creative person that you know:
• Creativity is the ability to produce novel and valuable ideas (textbook)• Research ﬁnds that creativity involves: • expertise • imaginative thinking skills • a venturesome personality • intrinsic motivation • a creative environment
Why are people creative?
Research ﬁnds that people are motivated to becreative by a • need for novel, varied, and complex stimulation • need to communicate ideas and values • need to solve problems
the tendency to generate or recognize ideas,alternatives, or possibilities that may be useful insolving problems, communicating with others,and entertaining ourselves and others
Intelligence & Neurology
• There is a correlation between IQ and the speed of processing• There is a small correlation between head size and IQ• The largest correlation is between efﬁcient glucose consumption and IQ