Triangle Area R useRs Group
September 29, 2010
What is ggplot2?
ggplot2 is an R package written by Hadley
Wickham that provides a comprehensive
framework for statistical graphics based
on The Grammar of Graphics (LeLand
To show you enough about ggplot2 that you
can understand its capabilities, get started
using it, and know where to learn more.
• Since ggplot2 has an underlying conceptual framework,
it becomes very powerful once you understand it.
• ggplot2 code is concise and readable
• Writing statistical functions (i.e. panel functions) for
ggplot2 is relatively easy.
• ggplot2 enforces the link between the data and the
legend, so labeling errors are minimized.
• The layering concept makes it easy to combine data
from different dataframes in a single plot.
• The active user community provides a good place to get
help and drives ongoing development.